• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Donations vs Sales

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

icor1031

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SD
A friend hosts a game server, and he has a website where users can choose a package for a set price and receive it, if they donate to his server.
In return, that package gives them special benefits in his game server: such as access to new weapons.

Legally, would this be considered a donation, or could he word it in such a way that it is counted as a donation and not as a sale, so that he is not under obligations that would normally apply to a sale?

Thank you.

sandyclaus

A friend hosts a game server, and he has a website where users can choose a package for a set price and receive it, if they donate to his server.
In return, that package gives them special benefits in his game server: such as access to new weapons.

Legally, would this be considered a donation, or could he word it in such a way that it is counted as a donation and not as a sale, so that he is not under obligations that would normally apply to a sale?

Thank you.
It's not a donation if they have to pay for something else that the donation wouldn't otherwise earn them.

In your scenario, the only thing they are getting for their "donation" is special pricing - a perceived discount, if you will - on a web-hosting package. It's still a sale, and legally should be treated as such.

What's the end goal here? Are they trying to gain non-profit status for donations they receive?

icor1031

What's the end goal here? Are they trying to gain non-profit status for donations they receive?
The goal is to remove liability/obligation. For one example: If the server Breaks in the future and he's not able to keep it running, does he have to give refunds?

However, as I think about it: there probably aren't that many obligations even if it's considered a sale..
I suppose a disclaimer stating a refund will be issued if unable to fulfill would suffice for most problems, and that the benefits can change or be taken away (such as if you're banned from the server for bad conduct) - as many major games do..

If I have any thing wrong here, please tell me. I am curious because I'm considering running a game server for the money, as well.

Thanks!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The goal is to remove liability/obligation. For one example: If the server Breaks in the future and he's not able to keep it running, does he have to give refunds?

However, as I think about it: there probably aren't that many obligations even if it's considered a sale..
I suppose a disclaimer stating a refund will be issued if unable to fulfill would suffice for most problems, and that the benefits can change or be taken away (such as if you're banned from the server for bad conduct) - as many major games do..

If I have any thing wrong here, please tell me. I am curious because I'm considering running a game server for the money, as well.

Thanks!
So your buddy is going to pay sales tax on everything correct?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you'd like, make it clear that no refunds will be issued in any case and that ANY warranties, express or implied, are fully waived by the customer. Of course, have this reviewed by a local attorney.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Thank you.
Why not sell Memberships? Free membership/Paid membership. :cool:

Houston11

I think it's not a donation, if you not clear about refund then in short we can say that it's trick to increase your sale,If you'd like, make it clear that no refunds will be issued in any case and that ANY warranties, express or implied, are fully waived by the customer. Of course, have this reviewed by a local attorney. Thanks for sharing

quincy

If you'd like, make it clear that no refunds will be issued in any case and that ANY warranties, express or implied, are fully waived by the customer. Of course, have this reviewed by a local attorney.
Hey, Zigner! Houston11 liked your words so much, he decided to repeat them verbatim.

Of course, he had to revive a two-and-a-half month old thread to do so but, at least by using your words and not his own, he sounds smarter than he probably is. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">