• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eBay Account suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wyndwalker

What is the name of your state? GA
I recently received an e-mail from eBay stating my account was suspended due to user to user threats of bodily harm via e-mail. The only recent communication I have had with another eBay user were 6 e-mails to a seller trying to resolve damage done to an item I had purchased. All e-mails were sent through eBay, and I copied myself on all communication. Thus, I have copies of all 6 e-mails, as well as eBay. The seller never responded to any of the e-mails. After the deadline, I did leave negative feedback due to the lack of response/effort on the part of the seller. In no way do I threaten anything more than negative feedback. In the meantime, eBay has not responded to my request for a copy of the e-mail(s) in question.
My basic question is: Do I have any legal recourse against the seller/eBay for filing a false report/suspension of my account. I use my eBay account for both my work, and for my personal pleasure. This has been very upsetting to me, mostly due to my (previous) good (100%) feedback rating and the lack of any communication from eBay (i.e. We are starting an investigation/You have been accused...).
Thanks for your time.

dallas702

Sure you have recourse....if you want to take the time to pursue it. Try to get your account reinstated via Ebay's pathetically slow procedures. If the seller leaves a negative, follow up with a statement that it was retaliatory and for those who care to email you for details. Ebay can delete the negative feedback, but it's a pain in the azz. If the seller answers your negative feedback to him, you can add one more shot in your follow-up.

If you paid via Paypal or CC you can have the charges reversed.

But...is it worth all this aggravation? Killing him with double bad feedback is the easiest. getting your account back is Ebay hell at its worst.

wyndwalker

Thanks for the advice. Do you know about how long it takes to get things resolved through eBay? Or, do they have a phone number somewhere so that I could talk to a real person? I haven't even received a reply from them that they are working on my case.

dallas702

Ebay can act in 2 days or 2 weeks. It's hard to know. There was a phone # posted on one of the Ebay threads sometime back. try a search. They don't give it out.

wyndwalker

Just wanted to give a follow up on this matter. It's now been 2 weeks, and I've received 1 e-mail from eBay stating that they cannot re-instate my account, or furnish me with any further information as to the whos/whats/whens/etc of the "threat". I have filled out numerous appeals forms, sent e-mails, and cotacted "Live Help" several times. No one seems to know where to send me to get this resolved, and I am continually told I will receive a response in 24-48 hours. Meanwhile, according to one help desk representative, I can feel free to browse the site. I politely explained that if I had no buying/selling ability, there wouldn't really be a point to shop their website. I've become increasingly stressed out over this, feeling as if no one really even cares at eBay. They have all been very nice, but essentially unable/unwilling to help.
Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone has any hints to get eBay to respond more quickly. Is there an individual person at eBay that I can get in touch with, who can answer questions and resolve this matter?

JETX

wyndwalker said:
Do I have any legal recourse against the seller/eBay for filing a false report/suspension of my account.
Contrary to other opinions... no.
The fact is... ebay reserves the right to suspend at THEIR convenience. Further, though you have a right to sue (everyone does) in order to bring an action against the seller, you would have to:
a) Sue in THEIR home county.
b) Know EXACTLY what they said about you... if anything.
c) Be able to PROVE to the court that you were damaged.
d) and most importantly, have about $5k for legal fees, costs, etc. to have to THROW away at this one.

Let ebay investigate as they claim they are doing... and keep in touch with them. Call them direct... and ask to speak to the presidents office. They have a staff to handle situations like this.

http://pages.ebay.com/aboutebay/thecompany/executiveteam.html
http://auction-genius-course.com/auction/ebay-phone-number.shtml
http://www.auctionguild.com/generic17.html

Last edited:

CO19

wyndwalker said:
Is there an individual person at eBay that I can get in touch with, who can answer questions and resolve this matter?
Try the corporate office!

eBay Inc.
2145 Hamilton Ave.
San Jose, CA 95125
Phone: 408-376-7400
Fax: 408-376-7401

phschris

Give up!

I am no attorney or anything but I would say give up and open a new account. it's easier that way than fighting with them!

wyndwalker

Vindication!!
I received a call from eBay today. They stated that my account was immediately re-instated. The person who accused me of the threat sent them a "forged" e-mail, and appearently this isn't the first time. They were extremely apologetic, and stated that action was being taken against the user who accused me (it looks like they are now suspended). Thanks to everyone for his/her advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">