• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ebay automobile purchase "fraud by false pretense"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Robster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I had purchased a vehicle through Ebay online. The online auction description had a specific VIN# of a particular model which i had agreed to purchase. When the vehicle had arrived it was an entirely different VIN# than what was advertised. Nowhere in the auction did it state that the car was modified,converted or altered to look like the VIN# advertised. (i purchased a fastback as advertised,not a hardtop/coupe with a fastback roof installed as I received). I told the seller I wanted a refund and he can have the vehicle back. He said sorry, I dont have the money. Both of us have 100% feedback so I didnt expect this transaction to go south. Ebay and their buyer protection service are both full of excuses. In the meantime im out $11.5k and the $1.5k shipping. Possession of the vehicle was made in California and was delivered from New jersey where the seller resides. There is no way I can possibly sell this vehicle for what I paid. Im being told this is fraud by false pretense. Do i have any type of recourse? I have no idea what or how anything can be done to get my money back. Please help. Thanks.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It happens all the time - simply edit your prior post, or post a reply to it...

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I had purchased a vehicle through Ebay online. The online auction description had a specific VIN# of a particular model which i had agreed to purchase. When the vehicle had arrived it was an entirely different VIN# than what was advertised. Nowhere in the auction did it state that the car was modified,converted or altered to look like the VIN# advertised. (i purchased a fastback as advertised,not a hardtop/coupe with a fastback roof installed as I received). I told the seller I wanted a refund and he can have the vehicle back. He said sorry, I dont have the money. Both of us have 100% feedback so I didnt expect this transaction to go south. Ebay and their buyer protection service are both full of excuses. In the meantime im out $11.5k and the $1.5k shipping. Possession of the vehicle was made in California and was delivered from New jersey where the seller resides. There is no way I can possibly sell this vehicle for what I paid. Im being told this is fraud by false pretense. Do i have any type of recourse? I have no idea what or how anything can be done to get my money back. Please help. Thanks.
To get your money back, you'll have to sue in a New Jersey court for breach of contract, and possibly fraud in the inducement. You can also call the NJ police and report the false pretenses, though that may or may not get you your money back, unless they convict and order restitution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">