• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ebay buyer wants to sue me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xFrogeye

I sold an item on ebay and the description says that the item the buyer will receive is random and it is stated several times. it even states "i am not responsible for people who do not read the description." I have gone through two paypal cases that the buyer has opened and have won them both. the buyer now says that he will take legal action and is threatening to take me to court.

his most recent message:
"You do know that falsifying a document and "showing" paypal that you have shipped and that i have received the item is illegal and i could press charges against you. Unless you get this straitened i will call the authorities on you.
I've even gone through this with my lawyer. He read the terms and conditions and i would also like the proof of delivery of the item."

i don't know what i've done wrong as to falsifying a document because i have a tracking number but he claims the tracking number is fake. this whole argument is over approximately $90.

his other messages:
"I don't enjoy people scamming others.
Plus the fact that I live in a completely different state, tell me how that is a correct tracking number? And also I spoke to the reps. Seems that they made a mistake and will fix it. The mistake being that they didn't pay attention to the tracking number information."

during the paypal cases the buyer also said things such as "I have talked to paypal and i will receive the item i have payed for which is why i will win the case." but i ended up winning these cases.

help please?

xFrogeye

first he claimed that the "item was not as described" and i won that next
right after the 1st case ended he claimed the "item was not shipped" and i won that as well
now he's just saying that i am falsifying documents such as the tracking number and that he will take me to court unless i give him a refund

justalayman

if you sent the item and it was as stated, then tell him to get lost or file a suit. I have no idea what you advertised or what your sold him so I cannot say if he has a valid claim in court or not.

and realize, the PayPal or Ebay decisions hold no weight in court.

xFrogeye

if he does file a suit how will that work out since i live in texas and the buyer lives in florida?
and do you know any possible ebay or paypal terms and conditions i may be violating if that matters in court because the buyer says that i am but i don't know what he's talking about.

Thank you for your help thus far.

justalayman

I know very little about ebay or paypal. I have heard too many horror stories so I tend to stay away from them. Their rules are not law though so any court action will be determined by the laws in place in the court the action takes place.

Depending in what level of court the guy sued, it could be either state. Small claims generally limits its jurisdiction to residents of the state the court is in though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">