• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eBay gift card expired with balance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CatLoveFish

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have an eBay gift card with $100 in it. However, it shows incorrect code under eBay website. I have proof of purchase. I called eBay several times, but can't resolve the issue.

As I understand, it is illegal to set expire date on GC in California. Any way to escalate this issue? Do I need it go to court to resolve it? $100 does't justify the time and effort, but what eBay does disgusts me.

single317dad

eBay gift cards don't expire. Can you describe exactly what you've purchased, and how you came into possession of the item?

adjusterjack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have an eBay gift card with $100 in it. However, it shows incorrect code under eBay website. I have proof of purchase. I called eBay several times, but can't resolve the issue.
Incorrect code is not the same as expiration.

Have you made sure you complied with all the requirements?

See the following FAQs from the ebay website:

http://pages.ebay.com/giftcard/faqs.html?rmvSB=true

I've been using ebay gift cards for a while with no problems.

CatLoveFish

I bought this eBay gift card in late 2015. I used it first, then the seller issued a refund back to the card. I have all the payapl transaction record.

After the refund, I tried using the code, but eBay doesn't take it. I called PayPal and eBay. What I was told that the code was set to expired. PayPal said that they can't expire a gift card. Only eBay can do it. eBay just says the code is not valid anymore.

Sometime this year, eBay took over GC management from PayPal and decided to expire lots of old code. Nothing I can do now, since the code isn't in their system.

single317dad

Here is a link to Paypal's website (current version) which seems to address your situation.

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/common-questions-about-coupons-and-redemption-codes-faq2345

It seems that if you happen upon a particularly helpful representative at Paypal, you might get a different answer from them, as they've specifically addressed this problem on their website and offered a path to resolution.

CatLoveFish

Here is a link to Paypal's website (current version) which seems to address your situation.

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/common-questions-about-coupons-and-redemption-codes-faq2345

It seems that if you happen upon a particularly helpful representative at Paypal, you might get a different answer from them, as they've specifically addressed this problem on their website and offered a path to resolution.
I don't think it apply to my case. The link talks about coupon from eBay, which is free from eBay. Mine is gift card, which I paid for it.

I have called PayPal 4 times and talked to highest supervisors I can get in customer service. Same answer.

I also called eBay 3 times and no resolution either. It is a deadlock.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">