• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eBay item sold $380. Buyer claims item damaged and returns diferent item. Lost money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rex72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Live in Florida, item was shipped to Utah. I sold an item on eBay for $380, after the seller received the item he claimed the item to be damaged. I agreed to offer a full refund as soon as I get the item back from hin. When I got the package, inside there was only a broken star wars toy and not the item I originally sold him. Can I take any legal action against this person?. Please help.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Live in Florida, item was shipped to Utah. I sold an item on eBay for $380, after the seller received the item he claimed the item to be damaged. I agreed to offer a full refund as soon as I get the item back from hin. When I got the package, inside there was only a broken star wars toy and not the item I originally sold him. Can I take any legal action against this person?. Please help.
Did you refund the money already? Before you inspected the package that the buyer returned to you?

If you still have the money, then NO. You cannot take legal action against the person. And why would you if you still have the money?

If you DON'T have the money, then one would ask why you even returned the funds to the buyer before checking the package to ensure that the item returned was what was supposed to have been returned? Your credibility would be in question here, and you could probably sue, but it would be difficult to do so. The buyer would claim they sent the correct item, and you responded by refunding the purchase price.

Bandit1

The poster does not have the $$$$$ as Pay Pal is mostly likely holding the money for the buyers and sellers protection ( and there bottom line ).
Pay Pal WILL refund the money back to the buyer when they see on line proof of Anything mailed to the sellers zip code ( does not have to be to the seller ).
Stop by the Fee Bay Forums and check out the Trust and Safety , Pay Pal , and Seller Central Forums and read all the horror stories , especially the ones where they hold a sellers money for 180 day's, like the one posted today with $ 50,000. being held for as a reserve over a $ 4500. dispute.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">