• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EBay seller no longer has items...buyer demanding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moonlighter

What is the name of your state? VA

I goofed up my first ebay sale. I listed a few pieces of old furniture for sale to clear out the garage. Meanwhile, spouse sold some half the stuff locally, Lone bidder won the ebay auction at the last minute and expects me to go back the buyers (I have no idea who they are) and reclaim the items so he can buy them. He is understandably upset, but making demands that I can not possibly meet. I have asked him for suggestions, but only received references to the ebay rules and legally binding contract, and letting me reclaim my old stuff. Any suggestions, other than not making that mistake again? Thanks.

ablessin

Sounds like this was an honest mistake -
You and your spouse will need better comminication for future e-bay listing so this does not happen again.
Refund the buyer money right away.

Tell him (or her) that you can not get the stuff back because you don;t know who they are!!! People don't take names at garage sales.

In the future just wait until the auction ends before you promise the stuff to another buyer!!

dallas702

In the future, anytime you list any items you also have for sale locally be sure to include that statement in your listing. There's nothing the winner of this auction can do, but he'll probably leave negative feedback which you can explain, but may have to live with (even though Ebay has a process for removing it).

Semi-old posting, but I have to comment. Ebay does NOT have a process for removing feedback unless it contacins personal info, swears, etc..

dallas702

Negatives get removed all the time. You can see their changes all over the forum. But, it takes a lot of persistance....and Ebay really doesn't give a damn if you don't do the legwork. Of course, if you jave too many they might suspend your account. That's called a one-way street.

CoolHwnGuy

moonlighter said:
What is the name of your state? VA

I goofed up my first ebay sale. I listed a few pieces of old furniture for sale to clear out the garage. Meanwhile, spouse sold some half the stuff locally, Lone bidder won the ebay auction at the last minute and expects me to go back the buyers (I have no idea who they are) and reclaim the items so he can buy them. He is understandably upset, but making demands that I can not possibly meet. I have asked him for suggestions, but only received references to the ebay rules and legally binding contract, and letting me reclaim my old stuff. Any suggestions, other than not making that mistake again? Thanks.

Yeah, sorry to say you gotta take the bullet on this one.
Explain to him the situation and say that there is nothing you can do.
He will be irate (wouldn't we all?) and will probably leave you a negative.
Since he was not at fault DO NOT leave him a negative just because you got one.
Thats just chicken **** and very bad form.
(I'm not saying you would but there are people out there that would)

Theres nothing in the eBay rules that says otherwise.
It may say "binding contract" but that never works.
Basically be genuine and maybe offer something as a replacement.

"I got a pretty cool hairdryer too, check it out!"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">