• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to refund for cancelled services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xbrownga

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
I'm in Arizona, a fellow classmate tried to set up a high school reunion in Florida. It was cancelled, 5 months later I'm still waiting for my $342 refund. The individual stopped correspondence after 2 months. What can I do?

justalayman

what did you give him money for? I have no idea if you are owed the money or not.

Given what little info you have provided, if you believe you are owed the money, head on over to his home state and sue him. Then all you have to do is collect on the judgement, if you win.

justalayman

again, the lack of information does not allow for a full answer but only a guess.

If you paid these deposits to the various venues, your rights to a refund would be determined by their policy. If you sent the money to your friend, it would depend on the discussion and agreement you entered into.

and if you believe you are owed the money, you can go to his home state and file suit.

xbrownga

The individual set up different packages through an online ticketing agency, my package included hotel and food for the weekend. The event was cancelled, refunds were promised but never given. This is not a friend. So your saying my best option is to fly to Florida, file suit, head back to AZ. Wait for a court date fly back and hope for a settlement of $342.

justalayman

The individual set up different packages through an online ticketing agency, my package included hotel and food for the weekend. The event was cancelled, refunds were promised but never given. This is not a friend. So your saying my best option is to fly to Florida, file suit, head back to AZ. Wait for a court date fly back and hope for a settlement of $342.

if you paid a ticketing agency, your rights to a refund would be based on that agencies policies. I see no reason you would have a suit against the party that was arranging this.

as to where to sue: if it was the person that you paid and they were providing the booking services, yes, back and forth from Arizona to Florida. If it was a business, depending on the details, you might be able to sue in your state.

xbrownga

The ticketing agency is just providing a service, they charge a small fee for the handling of the tickets, all money goes to the host/classmate. All refunds must come from the host/classmate, their policy.
Justalayman, can I ask what is your legal background?

I've thought about hiring a lawyer to represent me in Florida, that to me would seem to be the best option, but the cost for suing is much more than the cost of the settlement. So basically this classmate screwed me.

justalayman

honestly, for $300, I would write it off. It is almost assuredly going to cost you more to try to collect the money and those costs are not recoverable so even if you did win, you lose. If you lose, you lose twice.

did you send the money to the individual? They made all the arrangements for you?

xbrownga

The classmate set up the event, the ticketing agency (eventbrite) charges a handling fee. The classmate receives the money from the agency and handles all reservations, the agency issues a generic ticket.

xbrownga

My main concern is how to keep this individual from doing this again. I'm not the only one he owes a refund.

justalayman

The classmate receives the money from the agency and handles all reservations
,that would mean you sent the money to the agency, right?

For some reason I'm not really understanding the relationship between the classmate and the agency. If the classmate handles all the reservations, I see no need for the agency. It isn't making sense to me.

xbrownga

Yes, the money was sent through eventbrite not sent directly to the individual. Google eventbrite for more info

justalayman

I see. That is not what I was thinking you were dealing with. While I thought the agency was something akin to a travel agency, what that company does is simply act as a "face" for the person arranging the event.

Yes, it would appear your action would be against the person. Did you happen to pay with credit card? If so, are you within the dispute time period? Did you pay through PayPal? same thing with the dispute issue.

xbrownga

I did pay with a credit card, I did email them but did not receive a reply.

Only the organizer of this event can issue you a refund. Eventbrite is the self-service online tool that the event organizer used to sell tickets or process registrations to this event.

justalayman

\xbrownga;2965942]I did pay with a credit card, I did email them but did not receive a reply.
all my cards have a number I can call as well as a written contact point.

short of that, it's Hi ho hi ho, off to Florida you go but realistically, the gain is not going to be worth it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">