• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Advertisement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brenosilver

Hi, I recently purchased a plan from a hosting company (http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml) that is advertising 20% off for my current plan (baby plan) for 7.96 Monthly. However I am being billed 9.95 monthly. I spoke with the sales representative and he said the 20% off is only applied to the first month, and I said that it does not matter since in the sales page shows Monthly which is not the same as First month only. He told me that it is in the terms of service, and I finally said it again that it does not matter Monthly = every month not first month , which leads me to believe in false advertisement.

So want to know if I am right and what should I do in this case?

Thank you so much for your attention.

Last edited:

racer72

Found your answer buried in the site. The reduced price is for your first billing cycle only, after that it returns to the normal price. You must have chosen to be bill monthly, hence your discount only applied to your first month. If you had chosen a longer billing cycle, the discount would have applied for the entire cycle. If you don't like their practices, you are free to take your business elsewhere.

brenosilver

thank you for your answer, but it clearly says Monthly 7.96 . and the 20% off is for all billing cycles. Monthly for my understanding means every month NOT one month.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Found your answer buried in the site. The reduced price is for your first billing cycle only, after that it returns to the normal price. You must have chosen to be bill monthly, hence your discount only applied to your first month. If you had chosen a longer billing cycle, the discount would have applied for the entire cycle. If you don't like their practices, you are free to take your business elsewhere.
This is pretty standard across hosting companies. :cool:

asiny

thank you for your answer, but it clearly says Monthly 7.96 . and the 20% off is for all billing cycles. Monthly for my understanding means every month NOT one month.
I guess you missed the;
"NOW 20% OFF!*"
"1 Year - $7.96/mo*"
"Monthly - $7.96/mo*"
Pay close attention to the *

It's now, also, on the front page. Directly beneath the "ORDER NOW" buttons;
*Price reflects 20% off first invoice
Had you paid the 1 year, upfront, you would have received a 20% discount on the entire year cost.
But paying for the "MONTHLY" plan- you get the discount on the first invoice... = $7.96 first invoice, $9.95 every month thereafter.

No false advertising here. But, as you are on a "MONTHLY" plan- you can cancel anytime and move to another web host :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">