• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gotmyown3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

I got a bill from Victoria's Secret today. I don't have an account there, however. I called them to report it was fraudulent. All the purchases are online catalog purchases and I asked them if they could tell me where the items were shipped, whether in this state or another, and they refused. I am going to report this to the police. This happened to me last year when someone purchased 4 iphones from Walmart and I got a bill from AT&T. That got taken care of but the authorities never caught the person(s), so what else do I need to do?

If the purchases were made in your name using your billing information, you actually have a right to those receipts. They can't refuse to give them to you. However, if you're having trouble getting cooperation, you can try asking for a Victoria's Secret manager. Another way is to just call back and get a different rep and just request a copy of the records without telling them why. The only possible reasons they might refuse is because they're scared of legal prosecution and/or losing out on the sale.

You definitely have the right idea though. Call the police and report the identity theft and they can take if from there, good luck.

swalsh411

If the purchases were made in your name using your billing information, you actually have a right to those receipts. They can't refuse to give them to you. However, if you're having trouble getting cooperation, you can try asking for a Victoria's Secret manager. Another way is to just call back and get a different rep and just request a copy of the records without telling them why. The only possible reasons they might refuse is because they're scared of legal prosecution and/or losing out on the sale.

You definitely have the right idea though. Call the police and report the identity theft and they can take if from there, good luck.
And what law would that be? What law requires a merchant to disclose records to a customer after a customer has stated the purchases were fraudulent? Presumably the OP has not been held liable for those purchases so is not financially damaged.

OP - I recommend you put a fraud alert on your credit report. Google how to do this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">