• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fundraiser/ Raffle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Patrick7564

What is the name of your state? ohio

Ok here is my Question

I want to have a raffle on a message board so it will cover many states
Not what is the legal way to go about this do I have to be a non-profit organization to hold a raffle? I expect the raffles to make no more then 700.00 in a 6-month period and I am going to donate all the proceeds to a non-profit organization. Now I am doing this on the web and it covers many state what do I have to have legally to do this? All the proceeds will go into a Paypal account and after a 6-month period I will have a vote on what organization will receive the money that is raised. If I have to fill out any forums to do this can some one send them to me or is it ok in what I am doing as long as all the proceeds go to the non-profit organization? What do I have to do legally I have not picked an organization yet I was going to let the member that are involved in the raffle vote on it.

Please help
Thank you
Patrick

S

seniorjudge

Patrick7564 said:
What is the name of your state? ohio

Ok here is my Question

I want to have a raffle on a message board so it will cover many states
Not what is the legal way to go about this do I have to be a non-profit organization to hold a raffle? I expect the raffles to make no more then 700.00 in a 6-month period and I am going to donate all the proceeds to a non-profit organization. Now I am doing this on the web and it covers many state what do I have to have legally to do this? All the proceeds will go into a Paypal account and after a 6-month period I will have a vote on what organization will receive the money that is raised. If I have to fill out any forums to do this can some one send them to me or is it ok in what I am doing as long as all the proceeds go to the non-profit organization? What do I have to do legally I have not picked an organization yet I was going to let the member that are involved in the raffle vote on it.

Please help
Thank you
Patrick
Sounds like you could be violating some gambling laws. I'd make sure that what you're doing is completely legal in your state first before going worldwide.

djohnson

I can't speak for your circumstances, but here where it is not legal to gamble, this is what we have to do in that circumstance to be legal and have been advised it is ok. We ask for donations. Then we have drawings. Donations to get free tickets to the drawing. The problem comes in if someone wants to be cute and wants free ticket to the give away. You can't make it just dependant on the donation and have to give them one too. You just don't have to make that public. Only if it comes it. You may want to talk to someone in your area and areas you want to do this in to make sure it will work for you. We can't use the word raffle. We have 'doorprizes' and free giveaways, you just have to enter. A donation of $$$ and we will put you name in the drawing x number of times.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">