• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting scammed online, what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Apoorv

Well I've been scammed twice in the last 4 months.

I will explain both stories now. Keep in mind, that I am not from the US, I live in europe, although the 2 individuals that scammed me are from the US.

So the first person lives in Chicago, IL. I have met him on an online forum and I discussed with him about buying his website (it was a PTC website, great established site with good clicks and making him good money). So I came to a conclusion to buy it of him for $120, so I can work on it and make it even better. Although after I've sent him the money, he never replied to my emails again. So that was $120 lost.

The second case was of another person I met on an online forum (he's from Tennessee), he had a private method which he showed me, and everything seemed legit, we came to a conclusion that I pay him $600 via Amazon Gift Cards. I sent him the cards and then I've never heard of him again. He is also known as a scammer on the forum, and scammed people out of $5k+. I do only have proof of a few cases of him scamming.

So what would you people suggest me? I know that I can't get the money back because of they payment processors I've used, but can I get it somehow back, legally?

Also some additional information, I have the full information of both people, that means Name, Address, Phone Number, Postal Code etc. etc.

Thanks a lot for any help.

OHRoadwarrior

I think you are so focused on pulling a Bill Gates, you are making yourself easy prey. I suggest if you want to be successful at this, you limit it to contacts near you, where you can pursue fraud cost effectively.

Apoorv

I think you are so focused on pulling a Bill Gates, you are making yourself easy prey. I suggest if you want to be successful at this, you limit it to contacts near you, where you can pursue fraud cost effectively.
Well this was the first time I've been scammed, and both members had great reputation on these forums (they were well known, had over 2k posts and good reputation, there was nothing that said that they were scammers). Anyways, I've made the money I've lost online anyways, so I didn't lose any of my actual money. Although money is money, and losing money is always bad.

So well, I can't do anything to them I guess?

OHRoadwarrior

Subpoena their info. Come to the US and sue them in their respective states. Expect even if you get a judgment, to not collect on it.

tranquility

The police are not going to care over such a small amount(s) and the cost of litigation will be too great for you to prosecute yourself. Consider it a lesson learned.

That's not to say what they did was not possibly a crime or that there is not a breach of contract or a tort, it's just that the expense of getting things back (let alone proving things up) is too great and has some level of uncertainty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">