• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got Arrested Someone Please Help!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blink478

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Ok so I got arrested yesterday for Communications Fraud of $300 or more 3rd degree felony (not exactly sure if that is the exact name of the charge but it is a 3rd degree felony).

Here is what happend.

About 3 months ago I sold 2 World of Warcraft accounts. For anyone not knowing what World of Warcraft is, it is a MMORPG which is basically an online game that is multiplayer. People who are done with the game, sell their accounts for real life money, and people who want a better character buy accounts for real life money. The problem is, is there really aren't any laws governing this, so there is a lot of fraud on the buyer side.

Basically what happend was, after I sold them the accounts, they re-sold the accounts to other people. They then first tried to claim to me that the information did not work. I knew they were lying because I gave them all of the information, including the secret question and answer which is used to reset the password. So they then called the Police in my area.

A detective came out to my house and talked to me. I explained the whole thing to him and he seemed like he was on my side. ABout 5 hours later he called back saying they were still compaining and I asked him what Is hould do. He said that he was going on vacation for 1 week andto try and work itout with them but if they are still complaining then he will take care of it when he gets back. I ALSO TOLD HIM THAT GETTING ANY KIND OF CHARGE OR GETTING IN ANY KIND OF TROUBLE ON MY RECORD IS NOT WORTH IT TO ME AND IF I HAVE TO REFUND THEM TH MONEY + LOOSE THE ACCOUNTS THEN i WILL TAKE IT AS A LESSON LEARNED AND NEVER SELL ANYTHING LIKE THIS AGIN. He said yes sir, I completely understand. While he was on vacation I forwrarded him all of the emails they sent me, including all of the previous emails that I had conversed with them. The last e-mail I sent him said:

"Hey, they are still being uncooperative, please call me as soon as you get back from vacation." and left my phone number.

SO days went by when he was supposivly supposed to be back from vacation and never called me or emailed me back.

I then called him 4-5 times various days asking for him and leaving messages for him with his receptionist and he never returned any of my calls.

Then comes yesteday, which is like 4 weeks after all this 2 uniform officers come knocking on my door. They arrest me and tell me what im charged with. They actually thought it was ridiculous as well as after I explained it to them. So they looked it up on the computer. The evidence they have is that they supbenoed(sp?) Blizzard, and the last people to log on the accounts do not live in the same city/state that the people who accused me of fraud do. Well of course they don't since they sold the accounts!

I just think this is ridiculous and I need advice on what to do. I asked the officers if I just pay them back now will the state just drop the charges, and they kind of hinted to me that if I talked to the state's attorney then this could happen. BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE?

I am a full-time college student and am almost done and will be graduating with a Bachelors in Business Marketing, and definetly do not want any kind of blemish on my record, let alone a felony!!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!

racer72

Ok so I got arrested yesterday for Communications Fraud of $300 or more 3rd degree felony
You sold something that did not belong to you. Per the Blizzard EULA, the sale or transfer of WOW accounts in specifically prohibited. I would suggest you get an attorney and soon.

tranquility

I agree with racer72, get an attorney. I disagree you sold something which doesn't belong to you from a criminal point of view and that's why you need an attorney. Clearly you are not allowed to sell the accounts acording to the license with Blizzard. What your intent was is very important, and for that reason, I say to you....SHUT UP!!!!. Quit talking to the police or to other people about what happened. You have the right to remain silent--use it.

Although it is to the DA to determine what he will charge, strict enforcement to a silly level of computer access laws could make you guilty of a felony(s). The law is still in a wild-west state regarding such things so, get an attorney and follow his advice.

The acts have already occurred and anything you do now cannot undo the acts. Giving them back the money does not undo any purported crime. Doing so may help in showing remorse which could help you in sentencing, but hurt you in being found guilty, so ask your attorney what he thinks.

Do you see the pattern?
1. Shut up to everyone. Remain silent. Remember that anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
2. Get an attorney.

Blink478

Maybe I wasn't clear on my post.

Blizzard did not charge me.

The people who I sold the accounts to pressed charges against me because they are trying to rip me off. They are trying to keep the accounts (which they have already re-sold) + get their money back. Their claim was that the account information I gave them was false.

So you guys don't think it would be a good idea to talk to the DA? I was thinking that first I would try to explain to him/her how they are attempting to scam me, but as a last resort say even though I am innocent, I do not want anything on my record, so I guess they will win even though I am the victim and I will refund them their money, so basically they will have everything, the accounts + the money. You guys still think he/she would not at that point drop the charge?

LeeHarveyBlotto

What's clear is that you have been charged with a FELONY. People who are convicted of felonies often go to PRISON.

The advice given already is spot on. You talk to no one except your attorney, whom you hire today. Now. This minute. Right the hell now.

tranquility

The people who I sold the accounts to pressed charges against me because they are trying to rip me off.
People don't press charges, the STATE does. Now, if the people don't care, the state is far less likely to care and they may not prosecute. But, you are past that point if a DA is involved.

I mean for the following to sound like I am talking down to you in order for you to "get" it:

LAWYER UP, COLLEGE BOY.

I think this is a BS charge and you may get out from under it. But, computer crime is quite technical and, if you read a number of state and federal statutes precisely, you *may* have committed any one of a number of crimes by assisting others to access computer databases (the game) in violation of your license. Once the ball starts rolling on any crime, the DA will look to deal with everything they can get you for. They don't raise up in the ranks by dismissing or losing cases.

And if LHB's admonition of prision doesn't scare you, think of this. Often, those convicted of computer crimes, as a condition of probation or parole, can be prevented from owning or using a computer. That big paper you have to write in underwater basket weaving is going to be WAY harder if you can't use the internet. By-the-by, when's the last time you used, or saw, a typewriter?

mike_lee

I am fluent in EQ but never visited wow. If you cast a spell on a MOB but accidentally hit a friendly Giant. The giant' gonna kill you, talk all you want offer him all the plat you got he's still going to kill you. You have only two options, die or kill the giant.

At this point you can't get out of it you have to fight or die.

It sucks for you but maybe you can turn it into a book deal. Far too much is being made of selling accounts, Blizzard wants you to sell accounts that's great for business. And Blizzard will probably be the ones who save your ass.

However, if you did try and defraud these people yes you should give their money back to cool them off or else they'll be calling the DA every week asking for vengeance. I must say, I find your story a little hard to swallow. These people bought accounts from you which they resold and then to cover up their crime they called the police on the person that sold them the accounts?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">