• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have not received an item back sold to an international ebay buyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

okydoky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I sold a rare action figure through ebay for $425. I honestly believe the buyer had buyer's remorse since he wanted a partial refund of $325. I asked him to return the item back and I would refund the entire amount, since I believe the item was worth more than a mere $100. The buyer opened a case against me via eBay Germany. eBay Germany ask the buyer to return the item back. As of today (a month later), I still have not received the item and eBay Germany refunded back the buyer based on their policy - that as long as the buyer provided a tracking number, he is entitled to the refund. I've contacted eBay Germany, eBay USA, the buyer, and the shipping company with no luck.

I am extremely upset and do not have the $$$ or the item. Per the post office, the buyer is the only one that can file a claim or open an investigation with the shipping company for the lost package. I do not what else to do. What are my options? Can I file a small claims action against an international seller?

Please advise.

Sincerely,

Desperate ebay seller

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I sold a rare action figure through ebay for $425. I honestly believe the buyer had buyer's remorse since he wanted a partial refund of $325. I asked him to return the item back and I would refund the entire amount, since I believe the item was worth more than a mere $100. The buyer opened a case against me via eBay Germany. eBay Germany ask the buyer to return the item back. As of today (a month later), I still have not received the item and eBay Germany refunded back the buyer based on their policy - that as long as the buyer provided a tracking number, he is entitled to the refund. I've contacted eBay Germany, eBay USA, the buyer, and the shipping company with no luck.

I am extremely upset and do not have the $$$ or the item. Per the post office, the buyer is the only one that can file a claim or open an investigation with the shipping company for the lost package. I do not what else to do. What are my options? Can I file a small claims action against an international seller?

Please advise.

Sincerely,

Desperate ebay seller
By what method was the item allegedly shipped back to you? Were you ever provided with that tracking number? It is certainly possible that, because the item is coming from Germany, it may have gotten stuck at Customs or otherwise delayed in transit.

Understandably, though eBay refunded the money, you could possibly pursue a claim through them, stating that the item has never been received back, and the buyer refuses to return any money or file a claim for investigation with the shipper. Not sure any of that would work, though.

On the other hand, you COULD feasibly sue the buyer; however, since they are located in Germany, you would need to go there to file suit. You could not receive any kind of reimbursement for your costs to travel there to pursue your claim. Presumably, that's going to cost you considerably more than a couple hundred dollars.

okydoky

By what method was the item allegedly shipped back to you? Were you ever provided with that tracking number? It is certainly possible that, because the item is coming from Germany, it may have gotten stuck at Customs or otherwise delayed in transit.

Understandably, though eBay refunded the money, you could possibly pursue a claim through them, stating that the item has never been received back, and the buyer refuses to return any money or file a claim for investigation with the shipper. Not sure any of that would work, though.

On the other hand, you COULD feasibly sue the buyer; however, since they are located in Germany, you would need to go there to file suit. You could not receive any kind of reimbursement for your costs to travel there to pursue your claim. Presumably, that's going to cost you considerably more than a couple hundred dollars.
The item was shipped via DHL Germany and was provided with a tracking number. It seems that once it got to the USA, DHL handed the package to USPS. I was able to get the tracking number from eBay Germany (after numerous emails) and it seems that the item was "misrouted" by USPS. Like I mentioned before, I contacted USPS and because the package is considered an "e parcel", there is no way for them to track it down to the specific location.

I cannot believe that the only way to sue the buyer is filing the lawsuit over there. This is a true nightmare. I will try to pursue a claim through eBay, but as of right now, I have lost all hope.

What upsets me the most is that eBay tends to favor buyers way too much and buyers exploit their policy loopholes. eBay's revenue comes from honest sellers like me, yet we get screwed.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

The important lesson here is do not sell internationally.:cool: I never have and never will. There can be enough hassles selling to people here in the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">