• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

[HELP] i am opening a new website and i would like to protect myself legally please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Risky

hi

i am opening a new business online .. its a small service where people can talk about there problems/dreams who needs someone to listen to them

(( i am afraid they might mis-understood that i am not going to financially help them - i am only going to listen to there problems ... maybe help them to get over it or follow there dreams ))

also i want to add a donation button ..

how to legally protect myself and what kind of taxes i should pay ?

------- also hypothetically what if i made a huge amount of money -----??

************** MOST IMPORTANT
i live in Egypt but the website base is in USA/canada/UK maybe .. something like that but i think its probably in USA

also what kind of terms and conditions i need to add to my website when they start registering on it ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
hi

i am opening a new business online .. its a small service where people can talk about there problems/dreams who needs someone to listen to them

(( i am afraid they might mis-understood that i am not going to financially help them - i am only going to listen to there problems ... maybe help them to get over it or follow there dreams ))

i live in Egypt but the website base is in USA/canada/UK maybe .. something like that but i think its probably in USA

also what kind of terms and conditions i need to add to my website when they start registering on it ?
This site is for US law only. You will need to seek out help in your native country.

Proserpina

hi

This isn't so much about legalities, but about the "service" you are providing.

Are you a qualified therapist? Counselor? Do you intend to make it crystal clear that you are or are not one of these? What makes you think people will want to come to your site?

In the US alone, there are numerous reputable, free support sites dealing with everything from teen angst, family woes, health issues, grief... I seriously doubt you'll be offering something that isn't already available...for free. And often "staffed" by experts.

Risky

This isn't so much about legalities, but about the "service" you are providing.

Are you a qualified therapist? Counselor? Do you intend to make it crystal clear that you are or are not one of these? What makes you think people will want to come to your site?

In the US alone, there are numerous reputable, free support sites dealing with everything from teen angst, family woes, health issues, grief... I seriously doubt you'll be offering something that isn't already available...for free. And often "staffed" by experts.

no i am not a therapist.

people sometimes like to talk and they need a listener , i am not sure if i can make money out of this but just to be safe , lets say i did , people paid me the few cents/dollar for the service i am providing ,

what i should do if the Domain is in USA , i think i have to follow the USA rule , because in egypt , there is no internet law lol xD

Risky

This site is for US law only. You will need to seek out help in your native country.
i think as long as i am using USA's domain , then i should use usa Law !

because in my country , no taxes for internet crap lol

we almost have no laws on internet because most of the people dont trust it to be gain , not talking about opening a business on it

Risky

all i want to know

what to say in the terms and conditions ?

what kind of taxes will be applied on me ? .. and where is that forum ?

- i am worried that my clients might think that i am running a lottery or gambling ( i think those stuff are illegal ) .. how to make sure that they understand that its not a lottery or gambling stuff and no one will win any thing from the money i earn , so i can be safe legally ... (( why i am asking that , because when i thought about it , it sounded like i am collecting money from everyone just to help the winner's problem which is not going to happen ))

is a check box in the registration forum is enough for that ?

Proserpina

all i want to know

what to say in the terms and conditions ?

what kind of taxes will be applied on me ? .. and where is that forum ?

- i am worried that my clients might think that i am running a lottery or gambling ( i think those stuff are illegal ) .. how to make sure that they understand that its not a lottery or gambling stuff and no one will win any thing from the money i earn , so i can be safe legally ... (( why i am asking that , because when i thought about it , it sounded like i am collecting money from everyone just to help the winner's problem which is not going to happen ))

is a check box in the registration forum is enough for that ?
Start calling attorneys.

You need to understand the word "liability".

quincy

... what i should do if the Domain is in USA , i think i have to follow the USA rule , because in egypt , there is no internet law lol xD
You will have to follow the laws in Egypt because those are the laws that will apply to you, should someone take legal exception to your content and decide to sue (or have you arrested).

As a note, I am thinking you were making a joke when you said, "... in egypt, there is no internet law lol xD ..." because Egypt is known for placing restrictive government controls on internet use and users. A good overview from 2013:
http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-net/2013/egypt#.VBdyy5rD9zQ

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">