• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help needed with Ebay Scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SC_S5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me out with some tips on what to do here. I've been selling on ebay for about 12 years and have a really good reputation with my buyers. Recently I sold an item for $2300. Upon receipt the buyer contacted me stated I didn't send what was promised and instead sent him another item valued at about $200. He then proceeded to open a paypal claim and is offering to return the item he claims he got for a full refund. The thing is what he is claiming isn't possible because I don't even have what he is claiming he received and on top of that I triple check everything I sell but especially something valued at $2300.

I've contacted ebay and paypal and they are unhelpful basically telling me that i'm going to lose. More or less they told me that in a case of he said she said between buyer and seller it is up to the seller to prove the buyer is lying which is difficult to do in this case. The thing is I sold 1.2M worth of stuff on ebay in the last year, have great feedback and have never had any issues. The buyer is a zero feedback buyer who has never bought anything on ebay and they are going to take his word over mine for no other reason than he is the buyer.

If they find in his favor (which sounds like a foregone conclusion) I am going to hire an attorney and see if there is anything that can be done but in the meantime is there anything I can do to try and win this case? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me out with some tips on what to do here. I've been selling on ebay for about 12 years and have a really good reputation with my buyers. Recently I sold an item for $2300. Upon receipt the buyer contacted me stated I didn't send what was promised and instead sent him another item valued at about $200. He then proceeded to open a paypal claim and is offering to return the item he claims he got for a full refund. The thing is what he is claiming isn't possible because I don't even have what he is claiming he received and on top of that I triple check everything I sell but especially something valued at $2300.

I've contacted ebay and paypal and they are unhelpful basically telling me that i'm going to lose. More or less they told me that in a case of he said she said between buyer and seller it is up to the seller to prove the buyer is lying which is difficult to do in this case. The thing is I sold 1.2M worth of stuff on ebay in the last year, have great feedback and have never had any issues. The buyer is a zero feedback buyer who has never bought anything on ebay and they are going to take his word over mine for no other reason than he is the buyer.

If they find in his favor (which sounds like a foregone conclusion) I am going to hire an attorney and see if there is anything that can be done but in the meantime is there anything I can do to try and win this case? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone
Yours is not a legal question - present all of your information to eBay. If they rule against you, then you will have to seek redress with the other party (not eBay)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">