• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

[Help] Online Winnings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bonked

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hello,

My friend and I are considering creating an online game, which will be very difficult to complete. However, the first person to complete game will be given a $100.00 Visa Gift Card. We will post the Credit Card number, and PIN number online. The card will be bought 100% legally from a local supermarket.

Will this be subject to federal or state laws governing online winnings such as a lottery or will it be categorized as an online contest and not be subject to any laws?

Thank you for you're time.
Michael

racer72

Even if it's free, it's illegal in my state. Any online game of chance that has a payout is illegal here. Better hire someone to research the gambling laws of all 50 states. This will cost a whole lot more than the $100 you want to give away.

bonked

I figured it would fall under the category of a game, simply because it is not a game of chance, rather it is a flash game which requires skill to complete, and therefore win the 100.00. There really is no chance involved.

Would that alter its status?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">