• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hotel just posted a charge to our acct. for hotel stay in Dec.???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smess

What is the name of your state? Ohio

On Dec. 23rd, we booked a hotel with one of the large online travel companies. The hotel was a national chain hotel located in the Chicago suburbs. We stayed there Dec. 27th and 28th. We gave the online travel company our credit card info. etc., and thought that everything was done. We also were certain that the amount had been debited from our bank acct. Yesterday, my husband noticed that on May 1st, our bank posted a withdrawl for X amt. of dollars to this hotel. The amt. is very close to the amt. we believe we paid in Dec. I called the online travel company and they said that they had never heard of a hotel waiting that long to post payment (almost 5 mos. now). They also said that the hotel would have charged us directly, not the online company because it wasn't one of their "special" hotels. I called the hotel and was informed that the manager would be out until Monday. So I called the national number for the chain to see if I could get answers. They said that each hotel was independently owned and operated and that there was absolutely nothing they could do for me. My biggest issue is that not only did they wait this long to post it, but they never gave us warning or notification that it would be done. My husband and I are newlyweds and just started our careers. We are on a tight budget and live penny by penny. We had budgeted for this stay back in Dec. and could swear that we paid the amt. Unfortunately, we can't seem to locate our Dec./Jan. bank statement to be sure. This is now going to put us in the red until next payday. Is there anything we can do legally? Is there any action that we can take? I want answers, but it appears that the only person who can provide them is on vacation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
S.B.

Just Blue

Call your CC Company and ask them to send you a copy of the bill for Dec or Jan..See if you did, indeed, pay it.

THE PRACTICE-20

smess said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

On Dec. 23rd, we booked a hotel with one of the large online travel companies. The hotel was a national chain hotel located in the Chicago suburbs. We stayed there Dec. 27th and 28th. We gave the online travel company our credit card info. etc., and thought that everything was done. We also were certain that the amount had been debited from our bank acct. Yesterday, my husband noticed that on May 1st, our bank posted a withdrawl for X amt. of dollars to this hotel. The amt. is very close to the amt. we believe we paid in Dec. I called the online travel company and they said that they had never heard of a hotel waiting that long to post payment (almost 5 mos. now). They also said that the hotel would have charged us directly, not the online company because it wasn't one of their "special" hotels. I called the hotel and was informed that the manager would be out until Monday. So I called the national number for the chain to see if I could get answers. They said that each hotel was independently owned and operated and that there was absolutely nothing they could do for me. My biggest issue is that not only did they wait this long to post it, but they never gave us warning or notification that it would be done. My husband and I are newlyweds and just started our careers. We are on a tight budget and live penny by penny. We had budgeted for this stay back in Dec. and could swear that we paid the amt. Unfortunately, we can't seem to locate our Dec./Jan. bank statement to be sure. This is now going to put us in the red until next payday. Is there anything we can do legally? Is there any action that we can take? I want answers, but it appears that the only person who can provide them is on vacation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
S.B.

My response:

Why does it matter to you that the hotel is billing you 5 months later? So what! They could have legally billed you 3 years from last December. The fact is, they haven't been paid and their "accounts payable" department is a little slow. So what?

You still owed the money, and all because you can't find your receipt, or your bank statement, doesn't mean that you don't owe the money.

You have no issue.

IAAL

THE PRACTICE-20

baystategirl said:
Call your CC Company and ask them to send you a copy of the bill for Dec or Jan..See if you did, indeed, pay it.

My response:

It wouldn't matter. CC companies only give you 90 days to dispute a billing.

IAAL

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
THE PRACTICE-20 said:
My response:

It wouldn't matter. CC companies only give you 90 days to dispute a billing.

IAAL
You missed this one -

If the statement shows that amount paid, they could show it to the hotel chain and get things corrected.
Also, the improper charge didn't occur over 90 days ago - it only occured on the first.

stephenk

"Yesterday, my husband noticed that on May 1st, our bank posted a withdrawl for X amt. of dollars to this hotel"

Did you book the hotel with a debit card or a credit card? have you contacted the hotel about the recent charge?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">