• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get a refund from a site, after their refund period expires...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

richardburris

I live in Arizona, but the company this is about is from Chicago. Here is my problem:

I signed up for a website TEFLonline.com to get my certificate for teaching English. After a couple months I had done approximately 5 minutes of it, realizing I didn't have time. I politely asked if I could get a refund, they said no, their rules clearly state no refunds after 30 days. I feel like, even with that being the case, if I've done so little, I should be entitled to a refund. I even told them I would take a 50% refund, because I just don't have time to do the classes online right now, otherwise it's a waste of over $400. I told them I would not have time to do it for another 3 years or so. They told me I can pay $175 to extend it every 6 months, which is clearly out of the question. I have had other web sites give me refunds despite their rules, which is I guess is per the company, but I just don't see, with how little I've done, and offering for a half refund, why they wouldn't be willing to do this. Is there any way I can get 50% or more of a refund?

quincy

I live in Arizona, but the company this is about is from Chicago. Here is my problem:

I signed up for a website TEFLonline.com to get my certificate for teaching English. After a couple months I had done approximately 5 minutes of it, realizing I didn't have time. I politely asked if I could get a refund, they said no, their rules clearly state no refunds after 30 days. I feel like, even with that being the case, if I've done so little, I should be entitled to a refund. I even told them I would take a 50% refund, because I just don't have time to do the classes online right now, otherwise it's a waste of over $400. I told them I would not have time to do it for another 3 years or so. They told me I can pay $175 to extend it every 6 months, which is clearly out of the question. I have had other web sites give me refunds despite their rules, which is I guess is per the company, but I just don't see, with how little I've done, and offering for a half refund, why they wouldn't be willing to do this. Is there any way I can get 50% or more of a refund?
If you did not request a refund within 30 days, as "their rules clearly state," I don't see why you think you are entitled to a refund.

What other websites might do does not govern what this website does.

richardburris

If you did not request a refund within 30 days, as "their rules clearly state," I don't see why you think you are entitled to a refund.

What other websites might do does not govern what this website does.
Again, like I said, what other websites do is per their choice, that's not the issue. The issue is, even though I may have made a purchase, by not completing a certain amount it should show that I never actually made an attempt to start the "agreed upon contract." I feel I am entitled to somewhat of a refund, not the whole thing. If I completed .05% of the coursework, I should get a good amount of money back. They did nothing but sign me up and take my money, so they are in no cost for me, expect the credit card processing fee. It's a matter of ethics, not of "their rules clearly stating" anything. I am tired of all these companies that advertise how much they care about their customers and clients, yet it's all too obvious all they care about is money. I was leery about posting this in a forum, because I want an answer from a lawyer, with law wording, which clearly I'm not going to get in this forum. I just feel like if a lawyer were to send them an email on my behalf they would send me a refund immediately, with just me, nothing will happen.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Again, like I said, what other websites do is per their choice, that's not the issue. The issue is, even though I may have made a purchase, by not completing a certain amount it should show that I never actually made an attempt to start the "agreed upon contract." I feel I am entitled to somewhat of a refund, not the whole thing. If I completed .05% of the coursework, I should get a good amount of money back. They did nothing but sign me up and take my money, so they are in no cost for me, expect the credit card processing fee. It's a matter of ethics, not of "their rules clearly stating" anything. I am tired of all these companies that advertise how much they care about their customers and clients, yet it's all too obvious all they care about is money. I was leery about posting this in a forum, because I want an answer from a lawyer, with law wording, which clearly I'm not going to get in this forum. I just feel like if a lawyer were to send them an email on my behalf they would send me a refund immediately, with just me, nothing will happen.
Maybe it is a matter of YOUR ethics. You want an easy out and think the rules don't apply to you. A lawyer would NOT send an email on your behalf because they don't OWE you a dime.

richardburris

Maybe it is a matter of YOUR ethics. You want an easy out and think the rules don't apply to you. A lawyer would NOT send an email on your behalf because they don't OWE you a dime.
Sorry, guess I just figured a company that SAYS they care about their students would care more about their STUDENTS than money, but clearly that isn't the case. And yes, I'm sorry that my ethics are when you say you care about your customers and students, you actually show it, rather than show you don't give a **** and just care about their money. Horrible me for caring more about people than money, I must be an evil person. And I've clearly found another forum online where people only care to post obviously annoying answers just to troll people and get a rise out of them. Maybe some day people will learn to actually try to help the question or topic at hand instead of making the obvious statement of "you're just screwed, deal with it." I thought people in this forum might have been a little more intellectual than others, guess I was quite mistaken. I will now delete my account.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry, guess I just figured a company that SAYS they care about their students would care more about their STUDENTS than money, but clearly that isn't the case. And yes, I'm sorry that my ethics are when you say you care about your customers and students, you actually show it, rather than show you don't give a **** and just care about their money. Horrible me for caring more about people than money, I must be an evil person. And I've clearly found another forum online where people only care to post obviously annoying answers just to troll people and get a rise out of them. Maybe some day people will learn to actually try to help the question or topic at hand instead of making the obvious statement of "you're just screwed, deal with it." I thought people in this forum might have been a little more intellectual than others, guess I was quite mistaken.
Translation: I don't like that answer.

I will now delete my account.
No, you won't.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You don't get a refund because this school HIRED people to work/teach/grade based on the number of people enrolled at a certain point. You also took a spot someone else could have had if wanted. But you decided to be lazy and do nothing and now want to whine. You don't seem to care how much you have cost the school. Nor do you seem to realize how selfish you are.

richardburris

You don't get a refund because this school HIRED people to work/teach/grade based on the number of people enrolled at a certain point. You also took a spot someone else could have had if wanted. But you decided to be lazy and do nothing and now want to whine. You don't seem to care how much you have cost the school. Nor do you seem to realize how selfish you are.
First of all, yes, I'm trying to delete my account but I had to send an email to admin because I can't figure it out online. And EXCUSE me? You think you know me? You think I'm lazy? I am a teacher, and I work my ass off. I am currently in Spain working as an Au Pair, private language tutor, and taking online courses from college in the US, this is why I did not have the time to do it.

You are clearly a MORON who thinks they are better than other people and you like to assume things about people. I work my ass off every day and probably work much harder than you do, after hearing that comment you made. I simply over-scheduled myself, and told the company that. By the way, this is an ONLINE course, with NO teachers grading and with UNLIMITED spaces, so I didn't take one from anyone else. It is a computer graded system that only requires the use of the servers. Yes, I also know a lot about computers, so don't think I don't know what a fully online functioning website entails. Again, like I said, you sound like an idiot and my previous comment of no intellect in this forum is confirmed. If you spent $450 on something and couldn't complete it because of self-error or a medical disability, or something like that, you would want a refund as well, and sure as hell would be mad if they told you no and there's nothing you can do about it, because that's human nature.

Since you know about me now, you can stop assuming and realize when I say my ethics are geared toward people, and taking care of my students, because I SAY I WILL, you won't judge me anymore. I'm sorry you didn't have a teacher like me when you were younger, or maybe you would have cared to learn more about people and life and not be an online a-hole and troll like many forum dwellers are.

NOW I am done, because if you have any sense you will realize you were wrong to judge me and realize your mistake and that you are being rude to assume and judge. I will block the emails from this forum until my account is deleted. I hope the teachers like me take good care of your children if you have them or when you have them, because I don't want them to end up acting like you.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
First of all, yes, I'm trying to delete my account but I had to send an email to admin because I can't figure it out online. And EXCUSE me? You think you know me? You think I'm lazy? I am a teacher, and I work my ass off. I am currently in Spain working as an Au Pair, private language tutor, and taking online courses from college in the US, this is why I did not have the time to do it.

You are clearly a MORON who thinks they are better than other people and you like to assume things about people. I work my ass off every day and probably work much harder than you do, after hearing that comment you made. I simply over-scheduled myself, and told the company that. By the way, this is an ONLINE course, with NO teachers grading and with UNLIMITED spaces, so I didn't take one from anyone else. It is a computer graded system that only requires the use of the servers. Yes, I also know a lot about computers, so don't think I don't know what a fully online functioning website entails. Again, like I said, you sound like an idiot and my previous comment of no intellect in this forum is confirmed. If you spent $450 on something and couldn't complete it because of self-error or a medical disability, or something like that, you would want a refund as well, and sure as hell would be mad if they told you no and there's nothing you can do about it, because that's human nature.

Since you know about me now, you can stop assuming and realize when I say my ethics are geared toward people, and taking care of my students, because I SAY I WILL, you won't judge me anymore. I'm sorry you didn't have a teacher like me when you were younger, or maybe you would have cared to learn more about people and life and not be an online a-hole and troll like many forum dwellers are.

NOW I am done, because if you have any sense you will realize you were wrong to judge me and realize your mistake and that you are being rude to assume and judge. I will block the emails from this forum until my account is deleted. I hope the teachers like me take good care of your children if you have them or when you have them, because I don't want them to end up acting like you.
Alrighty then. :cool:

anearthw

Bare minimum TEFL industry standards are one month full-time classroom studies +postgraduate) and 10 hours (one week full-time) classroom practicum with real students.

You paid for an online paper that is known as fraudulent in the industry. My TESL certificate was one year full-time postgraduate.

Sorry you are upset. But you can't expect these scam companies to be accommodating or kind. Many graduates go after them later when real schools abroad wont take their "credentials", and yeah, they don't care.

Just Blue

Not legal advice but just a little "Life Lesson" that Mom and Dad should have tought you. Don't sign a contract if you don't "have time" to commit. School, gym, work...whatever.

And if you, as an adult CHOOSE to do so? Live with it and love it.

Just Blue

Oh. My. God.:eek::eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">