• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to sue Ebay seller - Small Claims or Federal? (NY and TN law question)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toddmanqa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY (and TN)

I bought an item on Ebay from a seller in Nashville, TN, for $300. The item turned out to be defective. I attempted to return the item to the seller twice and it was not accepted. Now, I'm past the return period for Ebay, and Ebay won't help me.

How should I file suit against the seller? Small claims court in Nashville, or in Federal court in New York?

If I pursue small claims court in Tennesee, can I have an attorney represent me since I live out of state?

Thanks,
toddmanqa

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY (and TN)

I bought an item on Ebay from a seller in Nashville, TN, for $300. The item turned out to be defective. I attempted to return the item to the seller twice and it was not accepted. Now, I'm past the return period for Ebay, and Ebay won't help me.

How should I file suit against the seller? Small claims court in Nashville, or in Federal court in New York?

If I pursue small claims court in Tennesee, can I have an attorney represent me since I live out of state?

Thanks,
toddmanqa
The fact that you have even asked this does not bode well for you. You are aware that attorneys charge a lot more than $300 just to file lawsuits, much less represent you afterwards, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">