• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HUGE SCAMMER : I lost $2400

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gourdieu

Hello,

I got scammed on eBay (a $2400 skateboard).

I sold it to someone who said that the board was damaged when he received it. I told him that if he didn't use it (according to eBay policy, you can't return an item that you used), he could return it to me.

He told me he used it, but eBay stood on his side and accept the return request. I called them and they basically told me that their policy didn't apply on this case with no further explanation and they didn't have to explain it to me.

He returned it but with weighs and clothes inside so that the weight of the package was the same as when I sent it to him.

I sent all the evidences I have to eBay (FBI claim, USPIS claim, photos etc.) but they told me that scams happen online and they were sorry it happened to me but that I had to refund him (I've never had the money, it was on hold for the whole time).

What can I do ? I have a lot of evidence and hints that he had some reasons for scamming me. Ebay is definitely not helpful and they don't respect their own policy.

He also threatens me to have me deported (i'm from france originally) and get to me any way he can. He told me that he's working at the department of state (which he's not, I checked online...)

NB : I'm in florida, he's in Texas.

Thank you for your help.

quincy

... He returned it but with weighs and clothes inside so that the weight of the package was the same as when I sent it to him ...
Could you please clarify the statement quoted above? Did the buyer return the skateboard?

LdiJ

Hello,

I got scammed on eBay (a $2400 skateboard).

I sold it to someone who said that the board was damaged when he received it. I told him that if he didn't use it (according to eBay policy, you can't return an item that you used), he could return it to me.

He told me he used it, but eBay stood on his side and accept the return request. I called them and they basically told me that their policy didn't apply on this case with no further explanation and they didn't have to explain it to me.

He returned it but with weighs and clothes inside so that the weight of the package was the same as when I sent it to him.

I sent all the evidences I have to eBay (FBI claim, USPIS claim, photos etc.) but they told me that scams happen online and they were sorry it happened to me but that I had to refund him (I've never had the money, it was on hold for the whole time).

What can I do ? I have a lot of evidence and hints that he had some reasons for scamming me. Ebay is definitely not helpful and they don't respect their own policy.

He also threatens me to have me deported (i'm from france originally) and get to me any way he can. He told me that he's working at the department of state (which he's not, I checked online...)

NB : I'm in florida, he's in Texas.

Thank you for your help.
That is the risk of doing business via eBay, and the risk of doing business that is not cash business. Unfortunately a lot of people have learned how to scam others via eBay and PayPal.

Gourdieu

Could you please clarify the statement quoted above? Did the buyer return the skateboard?
No he didn't.

He returned the original box with a weigh and some clothes inside.

This way I couldn't tell when I got the UPS tracking that there wasn't the skateboard, the weight of the package was exactly the same as when I shipped it for the first time (21lbs).

LdiJ

No he didn't.

He returned the original box with a weigh and some clothes inside.

This way I couldn't tell when I got the UPS tracking that there wasn't the skateboard, the weight of the package was exactly the same as when I shipped it for the first time (21lbs).
You can sue him outside of the eBay system if he is close enough to make that practical.

Gourdieu

That is the risk of doing business via eBay, and the risk of doing business that is not cash business. Unfortunately a lot of people have learned how to scam others via eBay and PayPal.
Thank you for your answer.

I know but I thought eBay would be more secure with all the protection. I wasn't comfortable selling a $2400 object on craigslist and meeting with someone.

Turns out eBay doesn't respect their own policy :

You must return an item in the same condition as it was received, not used

He clearly said in his message that he used it. But still, ebay stood on his side...

janiekwong

Your best bet may be to register your complaint with the Federal Trade Commission or other third party rather than seeking redress directly from the eBay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">