• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am a minor and I want to start a business where users can show off their creations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liamnight

I am in California.

I am a minor and I want to start a business where users can show off their creations, such as literature, and others can purchase it. Do I have to start a business and label the website under the business/company name? Does it make a difference if only the creators make money? Are there any legal rules that apply because I am a minor?

Thank you for taking your time to answer these burning questions!!! :D:D

latigo

I am in California.

I am a minor and I want to start a business where users can show off their creations, such as literature, and others can purchase it. Do I have to start a business and label the website under the business/company name? Does it make a difference if only the creators make money? Are there any legal rules that apply because I am a minor?

Yes there is a legal rule that applies to you. That rule is that you are not legally competent to contract. Some exceptions as to necessities, but this isn't life sustaining.

You might considerer associating with a trustworthy adult. (If there are any about.) But even then your age disability would be troublesome.

I just wish I had the same problem.

FlyingRon

Do you have any idea what it's going to take to do that, even if you weren't a minor? Do you think you can compete against Amazon and other companies that do exactly that?

quincy

I am in California.

First, it is hard to sustain a business when everyone but the business owner makes money but, yes, what you are proposing is possible.

Are you a student in high school?

I can see where a website that provides a place for students to display and sell their works could be nice. Creating such a site involves far more than having the idea and coming up with a name for your site, however. You will be handling the copyrighted works of others and this can get complicated.

What you need is the advice and guidance of a mentor in your area - preferably an adult who has experience with starting and operating a business or who has a business law background. Once you discuss with this trusted adult your vision for a business, the adult can help you navigate the legal waters to get the proper licenses to operate your website successfully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">