• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I won an online contest, but the company has failed to deliver the prize...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

musicproducer

Massachusetts:

Back in August, I registered for a contest on a website for music producers. The contest was for a free online music production course through a different website.

In September, I received an email from the administrator of the site I registered on, apologizing for the delay and informing me that I had won. Attached to the email was a PDF document stating that I was the winner and would receive a free music production course. I was instructed to respond and to indicate which specific course I wanted to take, which I did. 2 days passed, and I had not heard anything back, so I emailed the admin again asking for confirmation and a time frame. He responded telling me that he had been touch with the online school and that they would be in touch at any moment.

It has now been 7 days since I was informed I was the winner and I have not heard from either party. I am going nuts.

What legal action, if any, can I take against these people? I just want the course that was promised to me, but if I am not going to receive it, than I want to find out what I can do so that they dont put anyone else through this kind of harassment.

Any info is appreciated
Frustrated "Winner" in MA

musicproducer

did you pay to enter the contest?
No, i did not pay. However, it seems to me that receiving the letter from this website that specifically claims I am the winner and will receive the prize is a binding document. I dont want to sound like I'm "lawsuit-happy", but being told you won something you want really badly, only to be blown off, is causing me stress and aggravation that I did not ask for. That has to count for something. I just want what was promised to me.

justalayman

a binding agreement? You mean like a contract?

For a contract to be binding, it must first meet the requirements of a contract. That would be an offer, an acceptance, consideration, intent, and legality.

so, they offered something, you accepted but you have provided no consideration in exchange for what they provided as consideration. That means it does not meet the requirements to be a contract.

Additionally, I suspect if you read all the fine print, they likely made a million and one caveats why they cannot be held to anything anyway.

What you have is a promise. You generally cannot force a person to follow through on a promise.

whoops, right here:

I just want what was promised to me.
even you acknowledge it was a promise and not a contract.

mb94

7 days is not nearly enough time (in the contest world) to get this all done. In college I survived on contests to provide for trips and entertainment. 6-8 weeks from the time you first are contacted to getting the prize is considered quick.

Did you read the contest rules? Often times there will be a section involving the amount of time they have to fulfill the contest. They may also specify what happens if they are unable to provide the class (for example, I had won concert tickets but the band canceled their tour. In the rules they stated that if the tour was canceled that they would instead give tickets for another concert of their choice. It wasn't a bad I was interested in but I couldn't complain because I agreed to the rules when I entered the contest).

Again, 7 days is nothing. Give it 6 weeks and then talk to them again. If you go 6 months without hearing anything then consider a lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">