• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Information sold online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plsacremento

U.S. general law

If I was to sell information online about a celebrity, and the celebrity offered to buy it, would that still be blackmail or illegal at all?
Even if it was not solely for that person. ex. I offer a picture of Charlie Sheen relapsing online and offer it for $20,000 and Charlie Sheen himself decided to buy it. I sell it to him but I am not threatening him with it. If he does not pay for it it will simply be sold to another customer with no bias.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

asiny

U.S. general law

If I was to sell information online about a celebrity, and the celebrity offered to buy it, would that still be blackmail or illegal at all?
Even if it was not solely for that person. ex. I offer a picture of Charlie Sheen relapsing online and offer it for $20,000 and Charlie Sheen himself decided to buy it. I sell it to him but I am not threatening him with it. If he does not pay for it it will simply be sold to another customer with no bias.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If you had a photograph of Charlie Sheen doing lines of a hookers breasts- you could offer it to any news agency and to Charlie Sheen legally.

You cannot offer it to Charlie Sheen for $20,000 or else you will sell it to the media. That would be illegal.

dscurlock

If you had a photograph of Charlie Sheen doing lines of a hookers breasts- you could offer it to any news agency and to Charlie Sheen legally.

You cannot offer it to Charlie Sheen for $20,000 or else you will sell it to the media. That would be illegal.
You got to be kidding..

He used charlie sheen as an example, oh my lord...

I had great respect for Charlie Sheen...

now I wouldnt watch his movies if they were offered for free...

He does not interest me at all anymore...

$20k for a has-been used up actor?

Are you sure he even has $20k left in the bank?
(I am sure those drugs / hookers are not cheap)

one of the fastest ways to go broke....

what an idiot. He crashed his own career, and you think he is worth $20k :)
I am sure he has done much worse then whatever you think you have....

but yes, if he bought the entire rights, and owns the rights, then you turn
around and sell to others, then he has the right to sue you, and it will be
much more then a small $20,000 so if you are thinking about doing a
double take, then just sell for a higher price to the highest bidder.

whomever pays the highest price will want exclusive rights also, otherwise
what would be the point of being 2nd on the news? It would be worthless
once it gets out and spread around...

Last edited:

plsacremento

it was just a bad example, I was just talking about the concept of it though, setting up a "highest-bid" type thing for an incriminating photo. Now I know that if it was sold to anyone besides the person in the photo that wouldn't be illegal, but my question is "if the person that the photo/general information centers around happens to be the highest bidder, is this illegal?" I would have no control over who it went to, so it wouldn't technically be blackmail correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">