• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International car purchase , advance payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skepticwulf

Hello,
I'm a green car lottery winner from France.
I will be entering USA early January and my green card should arrive in 4-8 weeks following the date.
As owing a car is one of the necessities in USA (been to 5 times already before, as a tourist), I've been searching for an affordable as well as sturdy car to purchase.
Naturally I was only doing a searching and was planning to do the purchase on my arrival. But, I have found a very good SUV in Texas with a very good mileage and at an affordable price. I know about cars and as I've been doing this research since 1st of November I realized it was chance not to be missed out.
I contacted the dealer and asked him if he could hold the car till my arrive and he said the reason he was selling this SUV with a good price is because he had to empty his inventory as much as he could otherwise he would pay taxes for all unsold vehicles.
So he accepted my offer only if I was willing to pay that extra $700 of taxes.
As I did not want to pay anything surplus, I decided to pay in full in advance so that he would reserve the car for me alright.
I've been doing a research about this dealer which happens to be the owner of this small company near Austin TX.
I searched his criminal records at eVerify.com, I asked one of my friend in MI to call him and sounded him up.
I read reviews of him and his company at car selling web sites. They all turned out to be postive.
He sent me the purchase order signed by him in PDF format stating all details about the car, VIN number, mileage, purchase amount, balance due etc. I checked the VIN number with the car being sold at his web site.
Now I'm supposed to international wire transfer (SWIFT) the amount of $17000 to him to complete this purchase.
What else I can ask of him to be sure I'm not scammed?
If something goes wrong, will this purchase order and the proof of money transfer to his company's bank account be enough to pursuit this at court and sue him?
What extra paperwork and/or guarantee I could ask from him?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In my opinion, you should ALWAYS see the vehicle you are buying in person. Furthermore, you should also have an independent mechanic evaluate the used vehicle prior to you purchasing it.

skepticwulf

You're right Zigner. I gave up.
A closer examining of the vehicle's carfax report shows an inconsistency in mileage. I examined them for an hour and it just didn't make sense that low mileage and low price as well. I mentioned this to dealer and he replied with a lot of excuses which sounded like BS to me.
I guess there's no such thing as "free lunch" or even "cheap lunch" :)

adjusterjack

I gave up.
Congratulations. You just dodged a very expensive bullet.

Car dealers are liars and thieves. They go to sales school to learn how to screw the customer without actually breaking any laws.

There are so many places in the US to buy cars and there will be 100s available, if not thousands, wherever you choose to live.

You apparently have cash so you will be in a good position to buy either from dealers or private parties when you arrive and settle in wherever you are going to live.

Meantime, enjoy the following:

http://www.milliondollarjourney.com/confessions-of-a-car-salesman.htm

https://www.carbuyingtips.com/scams.htm

http://www.beatthecarsalesman.com/index.html

When you are done with those, google "How to buy a used car."

Also use the search feature at the top right of this page to search for tales of woe from car buyers who did not educate themselves on how to buy a car.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Where are you planning on living? There are plenty of places to live where you don't need a car.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
well I'm not among them :)
There will be dozens, if not hundreds of used SUV's available in the Denver area when you arrive. You don't need to buy one online, sight unseen. When you do decide to purchase one, please make sure to have an independent mechanic evaluate the car. It's worth the relatively small cost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">