• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet car purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jimsdaze

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I contacted a (salvage) dealer to purchase a van they had for sale. We agreed on a price and I sent 800.00 via Paypal and my brother sent 500.00 (my brother and I were purchasing together). My brother's Paypal payment was held by Paypal. So after 6 days of not being resolved I asked the dealer to refund my payment and cancel the deal. They refused saying they did not want to refund the payment. I did not pick this vehicle up or sign anything. Aren’t they not required to refund my money?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I contacted a (salvage) dealer to purchase a van they had for sale. We agreed on a price and I sent 800.00 via Paypal and my brother sent 500.00 (my brother and I were purchasing together). My brother's Paypal payment was held by Paypal. So after 6 days of not being resolved I asked the dealer to refund my payment and cancel the deal. They refused saying they did not want to refund the payment. I did not pick this vehicle up or sign anything. Aren’t they not required to refund my money?
No, why would they be? You are required to send the balance of the money for the vehicle you purchased.

swalsh411

If anything you are acting unethically by refusing to complete the sale as agreed. How is it unethical to expect a party with which you both freely entered into an agreement to do what they agreed to do? (i.e. pay 1,300 for the van in this case)

Jimsdaze

Perhaps you didn't read my entire message, I paid - my brother didn't. Not that the law cares. In any case, point taken.

FlyingRon

Perhaps you didn't read my entire message, I paid - my brother didn't. Not that the law cares. In any case, point taken.
"YOU" is plural in this case. "YOU", the buyers, didn't complete the transaction as agreed to. You're not going to get any points blaming it on your brother.

They may be able to .. not enough facts to say they should pay your $$ back. I'm sure you did not just send him $$ for giggles.

Jimsdaze

We'll I guess the majority has spoken. At least now I know I'm not getting screwed over because of my ignorance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">