• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Iphone App Name Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ak406

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hello All,

I have a quick question about an iphone app that i have developed and want to release. I go to a small college that runs a shuttle bus around campus. The bus is operated by a 3rd party and not the school. The schedule for this bus is listed online in pdf format. I took this pdf and turned it into an iphone app. The app searches the schedule and returns times associated with a users location.

My question relates to using the school name within the app. I want to include the name of the school within the description that i list on the apple app store. I am also considering calling the app "school name" shuttle search or something along those lines. The app is in no way associated with the school. Are there any issues that could arise from me doing this?

Thank you for all of your help.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hello All,

I have a quick question about an iphone app that i have developed and want to release. I go to a small college that runs a shuttle bus around campus. The bus is operated by a 3rd party and not the school. The schedule for this bus is listed online in pdf format. I took this pdf and turned it into an iphone app. The app searches the schedule and returns times associated with a users location.

My question relates to using the school name within the app. I want to include the name of the school within the description that i list on the apple app store. I am also considering calling the app "school name" shuttle search or something along those lines. The app is in no way associated with the school. Are there any issues that could arise from me doing this?

Thank you for all of your help.
Hi, ak406.

I recommend you contact the shuttle bus company and the school, or an attorney in your area, to ensure that your iphone app will not infringe on any rights held by the bus company or the school.

It is possible to use the trademarked name of the college in the name for your app, but not in the way you propose to use it. A trademark can safely be used in a descriptive way (ie, Shuttle Schedule for "College Name" Campus Area) but not in a way that implies the school sponsors the product, endorses the product or is connected in any way with the product (ie, "College Name's" Shuttle Schedule), when it does not sponsor, endorse or have any involvement with your iphone app.

It is not the use of the college name in your app that I have the most concern with, however, because the app name can be easily tweaked. Instead, you mention that the shuttle bus schedule is listed online in pdf format. While facts themselves are not copyrightable, so the shuttle arrival and departure times can be used, you often need permission to republish any text, tables, figures and images found in a pdf file. Distributing a pdf file can infringe on rights. The files are often copyright-protected.

To make sure you do not invest a lot of time, energy and money into an app that has a short life due to legal issues that arise from its marketing, getting permission from the entities whose copyrighted and/or trademarked material you wish to use, or seeking a personal review of your app plans from an attorney in your area who has access to all facts, is wise and advised.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">