• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Item I sold on craigslist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silverdragon997

What is the name of your state? California

I sold my king size bed on craigslist to a woman last Tuesday. She came over after I got off of work to see the bed before deciding if she wanted to buy it. It was after dark and the bed was out on my back porch. She spent an hour looking at it and inspecting it, trying to decide whether or not she wanted it. She spent a particularly long time inspecting the sideboards and the way they attach to the headboard, because she said that they were just like the ones on her old bed that broke because her children kept jumping on the bed. After almost an hour, I asked her if she wanted to think about it or come back during daytime to get a better look at it. She said no, she would just take it because she needed a bed. She paid me $140 of the $150 that we agreed on because she only had 20 dollar bills and I didn't have any change, then began to put the pieces in her car.

Now, she drives a sedan of some sort. The back seats fold down and there is a cubby hole in which to pass things through. She managed to shove the footboard, sideboards and support pieces through this hole. I pointed out to her that she was putting scratches on the frame, to which she just said, "oh" and kept cramming. She wanted to tie the headboard to the top of her car, but I told her that was a bad idea, since the headboard is 6'9" long and heavy and would probably damage the top of her car, among other things. She decided to return for the headboard later. We even had a discussion about how she could just put the sideboards from my bed onto her old bed so that she could have a bed to sleep on again until she could come and get the headboard.

Well, Friday night she left me a message saying that she needed to talk to me about the bed. She called me again this morning (Saturday) and said that the bed was broken, that I had known it was broken when I sold it to her, and that in the state of CA I am required to divulge this information to her before I sold it. She is saying that the metal pieces that connect the sideboard to the headboard are broken, the same pieces she spent forever looking at before saying she would take the bed. She also kept saying that the bed was made out of cardboard, not wood, which she kept saying when she was looking at it. It's made out of MDF.

I told her that it was not broken when I sold it to her, and that she had looked at the pieces before buying it. I know it wasn't broken because I put the bed together in my living room and took pictures of it all together. I think either she broke it when she shoved it into her car, or she put the sideboards on her old bed and her kids jumped on it and broke it.

She is saying that she wants to return the bed and get her money back, that I knew it was broken, that she can prove it was broken before she got it, and that if I don't give her her money back she is going to sue me.

My question is, does she have a case against me, and do I have to accept my bed back, now apparently broken and definitely with scratches on it?

Last edited:

moburkes

I was going to answer your question. However, there is one "word" in your post that stops me from doing so. Once you remove that "word", I will respond.

Maybe someone else will help you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state? California

I sold my king size bed on craigslist to a Russian woman last Tuesday. She came over after I got off of work to see the bed before deciding if she wanted to buy it. It was after dark and the bed was out on my back porch. She spent an hour looking at it and inspecting it, trying to decide whether or not she wanted it. She spent a particularly long time inspecting the sideboards and the way they attach to the headboard, because she said that they were just like the ones on her old bed that broke because her children kept jumping on the bed. After almost an hour, I asked her if she wanted to think about it or come back during daytime to get a better look at it. She said no, she would just take it because she needed a bed. She paid me $140 of the $150 that we agreed on because she only had 20 dollar bills and I didn't have any change, then began to put the pieces in her car.

Now, she drives a sedan of some sort. The back seats fold down and there is a cubby hole in which to pass things through. She managed to shove the footboard, sideboards and support pieces through this hole. I pointed out to her that she was putting scratches on the frame, to which she just said, "oh" and kept cramming. She wanted to tie the headboard to the top of her car, but I told her that was a bad idea, since the headboard is 6'9" long and heavy and would probably damage the top of her car, among other things. She decided to return for the headboard later. We even had a discussion about how she could just put the sideboards from my bed onto her old bed so that she could have a bed to sleep on again until she could come and get the headboard.

Well, Friday night she left me a message saying that she needed to talk to me about the bed. She called me again this morning (Saturday) and said that the bed was broken, that I had known it was broken when I sold it to her, and that in the state of CA I am required to divulge this information to her before I sold it. She is saying that the metal pieces that connect the sideboard to the headboard are broken, the same pieces she spent forever looking at before saying she would take the bed. She also kept saying that the bed was made out of cardboard, not wood, which she kept saying when she was looking at it. It's made out of MDF.

I told her that it was not broken when I sold it to her, and that she had looked at the pieces before buying it. I know it wasn't broken because I put the bed together in my living room and took pictures of it all together. I think either she broke it when she shoved it into her car, or she put the sideboards on her old bed and her kids jumped on it and broke it.

She is saying that she wants to return the bed and get her money back, that I knew it was broken, that she can prove it was broken before she got it, and that if I don't give her her money back she is going to sue me.

My question is, does she have a case against me, and do I have to accept my bed back, now apparently broken and definitely with scratches on it?

silverdragon997

I have no idea what "word" you would like me to remove. There is nothing offensive in my post. The only thing I can think of is the word Russian, but I can't see how that is an issue. She was Russian, and we had a discussion about how no one uses special vehicles there to move things. But in case I inadvertantly offended you by stating her nationality, I will remove it for you.

moburkes

I have no idea what "word" you would like me to remove. There is nothing offensive in my post. The only thing I can think of is the word Russian, but I can't see how that is an issue. She was Russian, and we had a discussion about how no one uses special vehicles there to move things. But in case I inadvertantly offended you by stating her nationality, I will remove it for you.
What did putting her nationality add to your question?

Let her sue you.

silverdragon997

Wow, you are so helpful, I can't thank you enough for your advise. Her nationality has nothing to do with it, obviously. It just stuck in my head after talking to her for over an hour about the bed, her kids, Russia, her husband...much the same way people have a tendency to describe me as "that blonde girl."

jennings85

Nationalities and hair colors aside, the real subject is that I can't imagine someone suing someone over $140! It would cost her that much or more to sue you, unless she pleads poverty and gets the court fees waived. If it were me, I'd ignore her. If she does sue, I don't see how she could have a case. Does she even have proof she paid you? If it was a cash deal with no documents involved, it's her word against yours. Good luck.

justalayman

Actually, no, she doesn't have proof she paid me. It was a cash deal. Thank you for pointing that out!!!
Yes, but if you are sued, are you going to perjure yourself by saying the bed was never yours?

I would rather eat the $140 than worry about perjury. I doubt it would come to that but still..

One thing that wan't totally clear in you post; Did she ever return for the headboard?

silverdragon997

No, she didn't come for the headboard. She didn't really like the headboard. I have no proof of this, but here is what I think happened. She said as she was looking at it that the connecting pieces on the sideboards were exactly like the ones that broke on her bed, and that she had tried to locate just those pieces to buy but had been unable to do so. She asked me at one point whether I would want to just sell the sideboards. I am guessing that she took home the sideboards, tried to remove the pieces that she needed to repair her bed, and broke something in the process.

My issue isn't about whether or not the bed was mine to begin with, but that it was not broken when she took it, and now she wants to return it to me broken and scratched for a full refund.

justalayman

My issue isn't about whether or not the bed was mine to begin with, but that it was not broken when she took it, and now she wants to return it to me broken and scratched for a full refund.
what was trying to impress was that the possibilities from perjury are not worth the $140. The previous poster was eluding to lieing in court. Usually not a good idea.

Here is my take. If the sideboards attachments are really the same as the ones she had, she simply swapped them and wants to return your sideboards with her broken brackets installed. Possibility?

I would simply tell her to sue if she feels she was wronged. Tell your side to the judge. Since the brackets were so close to her, if I were a judge, I would have expected her to inspect the brackets very closely to assure herself they were in fact not broken, like hers. From your post it seems she did do just that. She will have difficulty overcoming the fact she experienced just such brackets breaking and not seeing that yours were. I think it will all come out in the wash if you want to let it get that far.

silverdragon997

You are right, lying in court is not a good idea. If she took me to court and the judge asked me if she paid me, I would not lie. But I agree with the part about the pieces on the sideboards. She actually did inspect those pieces. Looked at them, wiggled them, the whole nine yards. I also have pictures of the bed put together, and it obviously wouldn't go together if it were broken...

jennings85

I was in NO way suggesting that anyone lie or perjure themselves in court! My point was that the lack of documentation doesn't help, and usually hurts, the case of a person who files suit.
IMO, the universal threat from people who have been wronged, or think they have been wronged, is "I'll sue" and it's an empty threat most of the time.....especially for piddly amounts of money, such as $140.

justalayman

Nationalities and hair colors aside, the real subject is that I can't imagine someone suing someone over $140! It would cost her that much or more to sue you, unless she pleads poverty and gets the court fees waived. If it were me, I'd ignore her. If she does sue, I don't see how she could have a case. Does she even have proof she paid you? If it was a cash deal with no documents involved, it's her word against yours. Good luck.
In this post you queried "if it was a cash deal with no docs involved, it's her word against yours"

A judge will ask simple questions like "did they give you $140 for the purchase of the bed?","did they plaintiff pick up the bed at your residence?". and such. Your statement seems to imply that with no docs, you could simply tell the judge that you never recieved any money or there was no transaction. I can't think of any other reason why you would imply not having docs would make a difference.

This is not an arguement of; was there was a transaction, but; was the bed damaged before the plaintiff took possession. The lack of docs will have no bearing on the crux of the matter.

By being deceptive with the judge, the judge may very well use that (actually; will) to determine the veracity of the involved parties.

I do agree that the threat of suit is often simply puffery and often not followed but don't ever take that to the bank. The idiots that go on those TV small claims courts have proven there is no such thing as too small of damage to justify a suit.

moburkes

Wow, you are so helpful, I can't thank you enough for your advise. Her nationality has nothing to do with it, obviously. It just stuck in my head after talking to her for over an hour about the bed, her kids, Russia, her husband...much the same way people have a tendency to describe me as "that blonde girl."
What part of my advice was not helpful? I suggested to let her sue you. Why? Because 1. it more than likely won't even get that far. 2. She won't win.

No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">