• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Item I sold on E-bay lost in the mail. Am I responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divgradcurl

ablessin said:
Thanks, you're right - it does say delivered to zip code. Wow- that is pretty generic.

well, I would still be leary to refund. How does OP know she didn't get them and wants the $$ back. Maybe she needs spending money for the concert
If the OP had purchased insurance to cover the (presumed) loss as promised, then the question of whether she received them or not would be between her and the post office, not between her and the OP.

OP screwed up, and needs to make things right. Sometimes you screw up and it's "no harm, no foul" -- sometimes, though, you have to pay up when you make a mistake -- this is one of those times...

Veronica1228

jpritchett81 said:
Ok the tickets were shipped I'm assuming USPS. When you get a tracking/confirmation #......it should tell you the full address the tickets were sent to......not just a zip code. Same goes for Fedex or UPS.

I'm curious now what the tracking # is......just to see what he's talking about.
I'm curious to know what this guy's ebay Member name is. I want to make sure to stay away from his auctions.

janedoe23

jpritchett81 said:
Ok the tickets were shipped I'm assuming USPS. When you get a tracking/confirmation #......it should tell you the full address the tickets were sent to......not just a zip code. Same goes for Fedex or UPS.

I'm curious now what the tracking # is......just to see what he's talking about.
I think delivery confirmation tells you the post office it was recieved at and doesn't specifically tell you the address of the person it was to be delivered to.

Here is an example

Label/Receipt Number: 0305 1720 0002 4532 9542

Your item was delivered at 2:11 pm on August 25, 2005 in MACY, IN 46951.

I don't even live in that town.

Last edited:

lacysea

Tracking Number

From New York

When you mailed the tickets, did you use Delivery Confirmation for tracking? If so, Delivery Confirmation is proof that the tickets were delivered to the buyer's Address.

I am curious to what type of Tracking Information you are talking about?

Lacysea

opus05

I wonder if the OP would feel different if he never recieved the $400.00 but she insisted that she sent them and even has the proof that he recieved it.

He should also be checking to see what her history is with e-bay...whether this has happened before or not.

Unbelieveable

It's people like this who drove me away from using Ebay. Under what scenario would it be fair for this guy to keep the money? I am getting no implication from his posts that he thinks the buyer is lying.

This brings up another question for me. Does anyone know if there's a way the op could verify with the venue whether or not those tickets were redeemed?

lacysea

Insurance and Tracking

Hi again from New York.

After selling on Ebay for 8 years, Insurance only works for fragile items such as glass, etc. in case the item arrives broken or damaged. Then one can file a claim to get their money back with the Post Office.

What bothers me is "if" this girl "received" these tickets as the buyer still did not state if he used Delivery Confirmation for tracking. When a seller uses Delivery Confirmation, the seller can type that "Confirmation Number" in the USPS Website and it tells the Seller when, where, and what time the item was received by the buyer. That's the proof.

From experience, I had a buyer say she never received the package and once I gave Paypal the Tracking Number from the Delivery Confirmation Form that I used, the case was dropped in my favor.

Lesson: The Buyer and Seller should always demand Delivery Confirmation when either shipping or buying an item in the U.S.

Delivery Confirmation costs .45 cents and the Buyer gets a copy of the form and that tracking number goes into the USPS Website.

janedoe23

Delivery confirmation only shows the post office the item was recieved at.

Here is an example

Label/Receipt Number: 0305 1720 0002 4532 9542

Your item was delivered at 2:11 pm on August 25, 2005 in MACY, IN 46951.

This is an item delivered to me. This item was recieved by the post office in Macy, IN which is a town I don't live in.

The only proof that it gets to the house it's addressed to is by tracking Number.

A

azmother3

lacysea said:
Hi again from New York.

After selling on Ebay for 8 years, Insurance only works for fragile items such as glass, etc. in case the item arrives broken or damaged. Then one can file a claim to get their money back with the Post Office.

What bothers me is "if" this girl "received" these tickets as the buyer still did not state if he used Delivery Confirmation for tracking. When a seller uses Delivery Confirmation, the seller can type that "Confirmation Number" in the USPS Website and it tells the Seller when, where, and what time the item was received by the buyer. That's the proof.

From experience, I had a buyer say she never received the package and once I gave Paypal the Tracking Number from the Delivery Confirmation Form that I used, the case was dropped in my favor.

Lesson: The Buyer and Seller should always demand Delivery Confirmation when either shipping or buying an item in the U.S.

Delivery Confirmation costs .45 cents and the Buyer gets a copy of the form and that tracking number goes into the USPS Website.
untrue insurance also includes lost items. I know from personal experiance we have filed a claim before for lost items.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">