• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laptop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mcombs95

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois. I had sold a lady a computer/Tv only thing wrong was it had a tore computer wire only from being bent enough and the cd lid didn't close completely but it worked grear. We'll she lookes at it in person but still wanted to buy it. Now she's coming back and threatening to press charges for a broken laptop that worked great while in my possession even when I have a photo showing it works. Can she legally so that and will she get anywhere that way???

adjusterjack

Can she legally so that
People don't "press charges" they report crimes. Then it's up to the authorities to decide.

However, she certainly has the right to sue you to cancel the deal and get her money back.

will she get anywhere that way???
Probably not with either.

The sale was as is.

Your photo that the computer was working really doesn't prove much. Did your ad describe the defects? If yes, I hope you kept a copy.

For the moment, though, I suggest you just ignore her and stop taking her calls. She is probably blowing hot air. There's nothing you can do about anything until she actually does something.

If you are scared of what might happen then your option is to take it back and give her a refund. Then resell it with an ad that describes the defects so you have the ad as backup if you need it.

If you aren't scared, tell her to buzz off and stop talking to her.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois. I had sold a lady a computer/Tv only thing wrong was it had a tore computer wire only from being bent enough and the cd lid didn't close completely but it worked grear. We'll she lookes at it in person but still wanted to buy it. Now she's coming back and threatening to press charges for a broken laptop that worked great while in my possession even when I have a photo showing it works. Can she legally so that and will she get anywhere that way???
Could you expand on the "tore computer wire," please? Did the computer work safely with the torn wire or did the wire need to be replaced in order for the computer to work, safely or otherwise?

I agree with the previous poster that a photo taken of a working computer is not evidence that the computer being sold works at the time of the sale.

Mcombs95

I'm not scared just didn't know what could happen it did work there was no defects to it it don't help her animal jumped on it

Mcombs95

IAnd it wasn't tore tore just what a normal cord does when it was used a lot.and it worked just fine especially when theres other people who have seen it work just I he same day I sold it you can't really plug a computer in at a gas station to show it works but my photo shows I took the photos details as taken a day or two before the sale

quincy

IAnd it wasn't tore tore just what a normal cord does when it was used a lot.and it worked just fine especially when theres other people who have seen it work just I he same day I sold it you can't really plug a computer in at a gas station to show it works but my photo shows I took the photos details as taken a day or two before the sale
Thank you for answering my question, Mcombs95.

Although it was not the wisest decision to sell an electrical device where no electrical outlets were available to test the item, the purchaser could have insisted on trying it out to make sure that it worked before purchasing it. It would have been smart for the purchaser to do so.

That said, if the cord was not torn to the point where it was a safety issue, and if the computer was sold as a working computer and it really worked, the purchaser has little to support demands for a refund.

You can agree to a return of the computer and a refund of the money, as a goodwill gesture to the purchaser (and to keep her from harassing you), or you can refuse to refund the money based on the fact that the computer was purchased "as is." If the purchaser decides to pursue a refund in court, you should be standing on fairly solid legal ground.

Good luck.

quincy

Did you specifically mention in your ad that it has this "tore computer wire"?
The purchaser could have insisted (and probably should have insisted) that the computer be plugged in to ensure it worked as was claimed by Mcombs.

Most used goods are sold "as is," so the onus will fall on the purchaser to inspect the goods prior to purchase. The buyer can accept or reject goods based on the inspection. Mcombs' computer was inspected by the purchaser prior to purchase.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">