• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On-line Services says I owe them money.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cutless

So,

I paid for 6 months of web hosting over at this company and loss access to their site for a long period of time due to their server move. I decided against renewing it and didn't access their web site to cancel it (when they restore functionality) until I got an email from them asking me to pay an overdue payment.

I submitted a ticket to cancel my hosting
"So, I've been trying to cancel my 'service' here but I've not had any access to your sites or services for almost like 6 months.

I've looked through the pages in billing and can't find any way to cancel any of it."

Shortly after that ticket I found a way to cancel it.

They replied,

Hello,

If you read our Terms and Conditions; "url" then visit Section 9.2, you'll see it is the clients responsibility to cancel their services, should they want or need to.

"Clients are required to assume responsibility for cancellations of any automated subscriptions set up at time of registration with any of our payment gateways to use any services hosted by "Company", failure to do so may result in continuation of billing which will be added to clients’ accounts as credits."

You currently owe "Company" £*money*GBP for overdue invoices. If you didn't know how to cancel you could of submitted a support ticket and we would of told you. We do ask you pay this within three working days, or further action may be taken.

Regards,

Staff
I bolded "credits" as this is what they mean by it,

9.3) Credits:
Credits are a non-refundable online currency, which may only be exchanged for
services within "Company" and or any of its divisions. "Company" does not sell credits.
Credits in clients’ accounts may occur due to the following reasons:
 Client can ask "Company" to pay up front for a specific service, if a valid reason is
 provided, and approved.
 Client has paid twice for the same invoice.
 Client has cancelled his service, but kept on paying.
 Client has failed to stop automated subscriptions taken by payment gateways such as PayPal.
The credit limit is a maximum of £300.00 Pounds, should a client cross this threshold,
no further credits will be added to the account beyond this number further to this as
with any items regarding “credits” no refunds will be issued.
When looking into my PayPal account there is no signed of any active subscription to their company account.

I told them that I had not broken any of their terms of service(s) (at least I don't think I did) but they still insist I pay them the money.

My on-line ticket goes on like this,
As you may notice that 9.2 says

"Clients are required to assume responsibility for cancellations of any automated subscriptions"

My service wasn't automated or you'd of got my payment already. Seeing as the payment wasn't automated, It is your responsibility that you close the service when no payment is received.

It also goes to say 'Failure to do so may result in continuation of billing which will be added to clients' - this means that money will be withdrawn even if the service isn't being used any more without any confirmation of cancel of service from the client.
They replied,
You did cancel it however it was suspended first due to you not paying, therefore breaching our Terms of Service. We will be sending you a letter if you fail to pay the outstanding amount within your account, and then if you still fail, we'll take further action. My advice would be to pay this rather than lots of legal fee's on top.
I replied,
I've checked your terms of service for anything about cancellation on web services.

Unfortunately there is NOTHING written on your PDF about any fore-goings of payment or stacks of payment for web hosting nor game server hosting.

I think you should check your terms of service as I haven't broken any rules.
They replied,
It is automated as you would be charged every month, or whatever you chose, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually etc. Therefore, by not paying you are breaking the Terms and Conditions you immediatley sign to once you purchase a service or product from Company.
To be honest, I don't think this person on staff understands his own terms of service. Apparently this company has done the same to my friend.

Proserpina

So,

I paid for 6 months of web hosting over at this company and loss access to their site for a long period of time due to their server move. I decided against renewing it and didn't access their web site to cancel it (when they restore functionality) until I got an email from them asking me to pay an overdue payment.

I submitted a ticket to cancel my hosting
"So, I've been trying to cancel my 'service' here but I've not had any access to your sites or services for almost like 6 months.

I've looked through the pages in billing and can't find any way to cancel any of it."

Shortly after that ticket I found a way to cancel it.

They replied,

I bolded "credits" as this is what they mean by it,

When looking into my PayPal account there is no signed of any active subscription to their company account.

I told them that I had not broken any of their terms of service(s) (at least I don't think I did) but they still insist I pay them the money.

My on-line ticket goes on like this,

They replied,

I replied,

They replied,

To be honest, I don't think this person on staff understands his own terms of service. Apparently this company has done the same to my friend.

The forum is for US law only, sorry.

Proserpina

Well, I've checked around the forum and there are people getting help with their issues over-seas.

I would of thought that I could be an exception :(.

The answers to foreign law questions are actually few and far between. Presumably you're dealing with UK law, yes? You'll need a UK forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">