• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multi-Billion dollar company Ripping me off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qwertqwert

Washington State:

I ordered a product from a very famous computer manufacturer who shall remain nameless for now.

I ordered ONE of these computers. It was around 1500 dollars. They sent an email saying "we are sending you ONE laptop."

I get the laptop. It is horribly defective. The screen was messed up. An entire line of dead pixels on the screen. I call them. I tell them they need to replace it under their policy. They agree. But they can't send me a replacement until I send them the defective unit. So the man offers a deal to charge me for another one, and send it to me, and when it arrives I can send the defective one back. I check my email and i got a message saying that they are sending me ONE other unit and that I have been charged for ONE other unit. So i expect my account to be charged for TWO total laptops. One for the original defect one, and one for the replacement. The defected charge will be credited back to me when I returnt the unit.. Okay that would be fine, except a few days later, I check my account and they charged me for THREE total.. WHAT? how did they do that. Furthermore, this caused my account to overdraw. Luckily I contacted the bank in time to get them to be lenient on me.

So a couple days later (far before the expected ship date) I call up the company and say, why did you charge me for 3 units total? This took me 45 minutes to get through their crappy online phone system.

They said they ACCIDENTALLY shipped me two replacements.. ACCIDENTALLY!!
They will NOT refund the money for one of the replacements until I send them back that replacement. I told them this is WRONG. They should refund my money NOW. Doesn't this just seem like the legal thing. This is 1,500 dollars. You can't sell someone a one dollar candy bar, and also secretly sell someone something else for 1500 and expect THEM to return it before refunding the money!
I am going to be NICE and return it to them. All I ask is that they refund my money NOW because I need it to live. I have to buy school textbooks.

I believe that if i was a "bad person" I could keep both and have my money for one of them refunded.

Because All I agreed to was purchasing one. They happened to send me two and they happened to charge me twice for the ONE that I ordered.

Any advice here is appreciated. I would expect better from such a big company (were talking as big as Microsoft.)

mjmpheonix

reply to computer problem

It seems to me that if a) you need this money in order to live, buy textbooks, etc and b) the original laptop is defective and not what you wish to have, then just return the defective one NOW before the two new laptops arrive. You will be credited the 1500 dollars for that laptop and, once the two new ones arise, you will ship the extra one back and be none the worse for wear. It seems perfectly possible that the computer company made a mistake but they aren't doing anything illegal. Would you feel safe in their positiong, giving you the money and not having the product? Like you admitted, there would be nothing stopping you from keeping both laptops AND getting your money. This laptop company is simply not being stupid, try to be happy that they are cooperating.

p.s. Just my opinion, also be happy that your bank was understanding.

moburkes

It was a mistake that they made, but a mistake nonetheless. Yes, you should have shipping the first one back instead of buying another one. You could have lived without a laptop for a few weeks. Libraries, etc, all have computers. You wouldn't be the first student without one. You should have, instead of only contacting your bank about the overdraft charges, disputed the charges for the 3rd laptop, since you didn't order it. That would have removed the charge for the 3rd laptop and reversed the fees associated with the erroneous charge. It would have gotten straightened out completely once you returned the defective laptop and the 3rd one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">