• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mondale11

What is the name of your state (only GA U.S. law)? I purchased a car in June of 2013. I agreed to make payments biweekly until I received my tax refund, where I would then pay the remaining balance. We agreed on $4600.00 as the purchase price of the car. The car was titled to me in June 2013. I have paid, in cash, 2600.00. The previous owner is now sending threatening emails that he is going to repose the car. He claims I signed a Notarized Lien for 5800.00, at 8% interest. I never signed any papers much less one that was notarized. what legal rights does he have to the car?

eerelations

You need to see the documents he says he has before you can say whether or not he has the right to repossess your car. If he won't show you the documents then ignore him.

OHRoadwarrior

If there was no title lien filed against the car and properly registered at the BMV, it appears he needs a court order to do anything if the car is titled in your name only.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only GA U.S. law)? I purchased a car in June of 2013. I agreed to make payments biweekly until I received my tax refund, where I would then pay the remaining balance. We agreed on $4600.00 as the purchase price of the car. The car was titled to me in June 2013. I have paid, in cash, 2600.00. The previous owner is now sending threatening emails that he is going to repose the car. He claims I signed a Notarized Lien for 5800.00, at 8% interest. I never signed any papers much less one that was notarized. what legal rights does he have to the car?
With no express (written) agreement creating a security interest in the vehicle the guy would be committing larceny should he in anyway cause the vehicle to be removed from your possession and control.

However, if you come into default under the purchase agreement, he could obtain a judgment and have the sheriff seize the vehicle under a levy of execution.

Incidentally, it was savvy of you to wangle the transfer of title. And not particularly shrewd of him to permit it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">