• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nearly 45 and 60 days and still no return.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grunkee

I am in Portland Oregon.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this topic in...but here is my question..

I bought some golf clubs and accessories from a place called GolfSmith. I returned them within the allotted time frame to return the items. I made one return on July 16th 2012 and July 22nd 2012 which GolfSmith acknowledges. But I have not gotten my money back yet. When I call them, I have been hounding them like crazy and have been getting the run around. They say they returned the money and that an "accountant" is looking into it. I have called my bank MANY times just to verify that I have not received the $ and they confirm it. They see no attempts on my account for the returned money. It's now September and my patience is gone. And I have been VERY patient with them.

Is there something I can do to speed this up? All I can really think of is small claims court and I don't even know if I can take them there. I mean, I have been told different time frames from GolfSmith as to when I will be getting my money back FOUR different times. Which has really screwed me over and cost me more money AND almost getting evicted because I was expecting the money. This is over $500 of my money that they are taking their time with. And while I know it's not that much money...it's the principle. That's a month's worth of bills for me!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh. And I do have the return receipt for one of the returns but not the other. I think it got accidentally recycled. I have told GolfSmith this and they said I can just go to the store and they can print it out for me again.

KristenJohnson

Contact your bank, credit card co & use Twitter - you'll be amazed

How did you pay for the clubs? Did you go into the store or buy them online? I'm wondering why you weren't refunded on the spot. If you used Visa, you can call and file a claim. If it was done through your debit card, you can file a claim with your bank explaining that Golfsmith is fraudulently holding onto your money. The bank will refund you and open a claim. I would write a formal letter advising that you will be taking them to small claims court. One last thing that has worked for me with other companies is to go on Twitter & launch an attack. Most companies respond to this immediately. I saw on Golfsmith's website that they are on Twitter so it may work.

I bought some golf clubs and accessories from a place called GolfSmith. I returned them within the allotted time frame to return the items. I made one return on July 16th 2012 and July 22nd 2012 which GolfSmith acknowledges. But I have not gotten my money back yet. When I call them, I have been hounding them like crazy and have been getting the run around. They say they returned the money and that an "accountant" is looking into it. I have called my bank MANY times just to verify that I have not received the $ and they confirm it. They see no attempts on my account for the returned money. It's now September and my patience is gone. And I have been VERY patient with them.

Is there something I can do to speed this up? All I can really think of is small claims court and I don't even know if I can take them there. I mean, I have been told different time frames from GolfSmith as to when I will be getting my money back FOUR different times. Which has really screwed me over and cost me more money AND almost getting evicted because I was expecting the money. This is over $500 of my money that they are taking their time with. And while I know it's not that much money...it's the principle. That's a month's worth of bills for me!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh. And I do have the return receipt for one of the returns but not the other. I think it got accidentally recycled. I have told GolfSmith this and they said I can just go to the store and they can print it out for me again.[/QUOTE]

grunkee

bank never said anything about that.

i paid with my debit card. i have asked my bank before what my options were and they pretty much told me I didn't any.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

I'm confused on how you could not pay your rent, while waiting on a refund. Had you kept the golfing items, you would not have the money regardless.

swalsh411

Which has really screwed me over and cost me more money AND almost getting evicted because I was expecting the money.
You clearly cannot afford to golf if you are spending your rent money on clubs. Find a less expensive hobby.

i paid with my debit card. i have asked my bank before what my options were and they pretty much told me I didn't any.
Go in and speak to a branch manager. They can initiate a dispute through MC/VISA for your debit card claim. You have proof of return and there has been no refund posted to the card so you are likely to prevail in a dispute.

You might also consider switching banks when this is resolved. Find a bank that gives you a debit card with more protection for your deposits such as ZERO fraud liability.

grunkee

I'm confused on how you could not pay your rent, while waiting on a refund. Had you kept the golfing items, you would not have the money regardless.

The reason I almost got evicted was because when I get paid..I don't just sit on my money, I move it around. Whether it be to one of my brokerage account or IRA. Sometimes I transfer money to my mom. Pay some bills early. Or maybe I just want to go buy myself something. I am not your typical 29 year old so to speak? With that being said, last month towards the beginning of this whole fiasco and before I knew that any dates given to me by GolfSmith were BS, I was told that I was DEFINITELY going to have my money by so and so date. So I was planning on having my $560 by this date which I then called my landlord and explained my situation to him and told him when I would have the rent money....assuming GolfSmith was going to do good by their word. And while I know it was dumb of me to assume it was going to be there like they said, you have to understand that i was talking to the CSR and an "accountant" both at the same time. So when the "accountant" tells me it will definitely be there...it's kind of believable. That, and like I said earlier...it was earlier in this whole debacle so I hadn't quite learned yet that GolfSmith was full of it.

Anyways, the final day comes and goes with still no money in my account. I try and get it handled before the end of the business day but of course, no luck. I am forced to call my landlord and tell him its going to be a bit longer because GolfSmith didn't come through so now I have to go through the process of getting money from somewhere else which takes time and something I didn't want to do in the first place. Well, he was upset with me and served me a 72 hour notice. Luckily I was able to pay my rent PLUS a $50 late fee.

It's just the simple stuff like that, that has really screwed me over. If they were to just tell me from the get-go that it was going to take this long to get my money, I could have planned for it. I wouldn't have been happy about it, but regardless, I could have planned and made a budget.

grunkee

You clearly cannot afford to golf if you are spending your rent money on clubs. Find a less expensive hobby.
I'm not spending my rent money on clubs. I was planning on using the return money I was due, on rent. And I don't see where I asked for opinions on how I manage my money. So if you have some helpful input, great. If you want to talk stupid, gtfo. Thanks in advance.

justalayman

it sounds like you returned the items to a brick and mortar store. Is that correct?

If so, do they have a posted policy on returns or anything on any documents you were given? If so, does anything speak to a timeline for returns when purchases were made with a debit card?

The reason I almost got evicted was because when I get paid..I don't just sit on my money, I move it around. Whether it be to one of my brokerage account or IRA.
Yeah, right, sure you do. Last time I checked money put into a brokerage account can be removed fairly quickly (either by overnight ACH or by a check written off the account). So your attempts to cover up your irresponsibility fall short.

I advised you how to resolve this issue. I don't know if you missed it because you were so busy talking about how you like to "move your money around." Go speak with the branch manager at your bank about initiating a dispute with MC/VISA (however your debit card is branded). You have proof of the return and no credit has posted to your account, this is the easiest way to recover your lost funds. Also, in the future, use a debit card from a bank that provides better protection to their depositors such as zero fraud liability.

And I don't see where I asked for opinions on how I manage my money. So if you have some helpful input, great. If you want to talk stupid, gtfo. Thanks in advance.
You came to a free advice internet forum for help. That means you are going to get FREE ADVICE. When the volunteers here see that somebody is spending their rent money on golf clubs, expect to be taken to task for it. That's PART OF THE ADVICE. Failure to bring this to your attention would not only be irresponsible of those replying to your request, but also leave the forum open to you coming back for help when you're getting evicted, getting sued by a creditor, needing to file for bankruptcy, etc. The advice is a package deal. You don't get to dictate the advice you receive or the way you receive it.

grunkee

it sounds like you returned the items to a brick and mortar store. Is that correct?

If so, do they have a posted policy on returns or anything on any documents you were given? If so, does anything speak to a timeline for returns when purchases were made with a debit card?

I returned it to one of their retail stores. The same store I bought the items at. The only thing they have is on the back of the receipt...their return policy and how long I have to return the items. Which I was well within.

grunkee

Yeah, right, sure you do. Last time I checked money put into a brokerage account can be removed fairly quickly (either by overnight ACH or by a check written off the account). So your attempts to cover up your irresponsibility fall short.
I quoted about as much as I read. Skimmed the rest.

Haha. I am well aware of how long it takes to get and put in money into a brokerage account. You just aren't...how do I put this...? You aren't picking up what I am putting down. Same with the whole "spending my rent on golf clubs" thing. You aren't following me at all so I will just leave it at this...thanks for the, definitely free, advice. Now move on haha :)

I quoted about as much as I read. Skimmed the rest.

Haha. I am well aware of how long it takes to get and put in money into a brokerage account. You just aren't...how do I put this...? You aren't picking up what I am putting down. Same with the whole "spending my rent on golf clubs" thing. You aren't following me at all so I will just leave it at this...thanks for the, definitely free, advice. Now move on haha :)
Wonderful please do not follow my repeated advice on how to get your money back either.

grunkee

I went into the retail store today. I'm going back in tomorrow when the GM is there. The employee I talked to seemed to think he or she may be able to do something. I will probably file a fraud claim too.

justalayman

there is no fraud here. It is simply a matter of a refund.

Fraud is a criminal act so if you want to accuse them of a crime, be my guest. I suspect it won't hurry your claim along one bit/

so, what did it say about returns? I cannot find any law for Oregon that even requires a merchant to accept a return (it's the same in most states). Unless there is a law giving rules for the issue, it becomes a matter of company policy so, what was the return policy stated for purchases with a debit card?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">