• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never received a package that was delivered to "front door" via UPS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TijuanaTea

Hello,

I purchased a product online from a subsidiary of Chrysler Group LLC. The product was a service manual CD for a 2014 Jeep Wrangler costing around $130 plus shipping and handling. The product was shipped via UPS Ground. According to the information UPS displayed for the tracking number, the package was delivered at the "front door" of my apartment residence. I never saw the package. In fact, I was expecting two packages from two different companies to be delivered via UPS that day. I saw neither package.

The shipper never selected "Signature Requirement" for the package.
UPS supposedly delivered the package to "front door."
Neither my wife nor I were home to receive package; the package was not there when my wife arrived home (later that evening)

I was never given an option to request "Signature Requirement" when I ordered the product. There was a "Notes" section, but I assumed that the company would have been wise enough to select "Signature Requirement" --- not only because it is a safe business practice, but also because I lived at an apartment complex. Therefore, I did not say, "Please include 'Signature Requirement'" in the notes section.

Who is at fault? Do I have a basis to sue Chrylser Group LLC in small claims court in Michigan (where the resident agent may be served)?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Hello,

I purchased a product online from a subsidiary of Chrysler Group LLC. The product was a service manual CD for a 2014 Jeep Wrangler costing around $130 plus shipping and handling. The product was shipped via UPS Ground. According to the information UPS displayed for the tracking number, the package was delivered at the "front door" of my apartment residence. I never saw the package. In fact, I was expecting two packages from two different companies to be delivered via UPS that day. I saw neither package.

The shipper never selected "Signature Requirement" for the package.
UPS supposedly delivered the package to "front door."
Neither my wife nor I were home to receive package; the package was not there when my wife arrived home (later that evening)

I was never given an option to request "Signature Requirement" when I ordered the product. There was a "Notes" section, but I assumed that the company would have been wise enough to select "Signature Requirement" --- not only because it is a safe business practice, but also because I lived at an apartment complex. Therefore, I did not say, "Please include 'Signature Requirement'" in the notes section.

Who is at fault? Do I have a basis to sue Chrylser Group LLC in small claims court in Michigan (where the resident agent may be served)?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Given that two parcels were supposedly delivered, from two different companies, and weren't, you need to ask yourself, "am I sure my packages aren't being stolen?"

Did you insure the items?

Looks like they did what they were paid to do - sell you an item and ship it. What happens after that generally isn't their problem.

TijuanaTea

Given that two parcels were supposedly delivered, from two different companies, and weren't, you need to ask yourself, "am I sure my packages aren't being stolen?"

Looks like they did what they were paid to do - sell you an item and ship it. What happens after that generally isn't their problem.
No, I did not insure the packages. It wasn't an option that was offered to me on the order page. And, I was under the impression that UPS would reimburse recipients in the event that a package was lost or stolen.

There's no doubt in my mind that they were stolen. I dont see any other rational explanation. It could have been stolen by someone who lives at the apartments. Could have been by the UPS driver (it's happened before, elsewhere). No way for me to know. All I know is that I no longer have UPS deliver to my apartment or anywhere for that matter. I will look up a tracking number of any package I have coming my way via UPS, and then I will make sure that the package is not delivered but instead held for pick-up at the warehouse. I don't trust UPS to deliver my packages to my apartment anymore. To me, it's...it's just dumb...to leave a package in front of an apartment door. It's far too easy for someone to take it and slip right into their apartment with it. Nobody would see them do it.

All I know is that had the shipper selected "signature requirement," the packages would not (or should not) have been left at my front door where someone could have stole them.

Proserpina

No, I did not insure the packages. It wasn't an option that was offered to me on the order page. And, I was under the impression that UPS would reimburse recipients in the event that a package was lost or stolen.

There's no doubt in my mind that they were stolen. I dont see any other rational explanation. It could have been stolen by someone who lives at the apartments. Could have been by the UPS driver (it's happened before, elsewhere). No way for me to know. All I know is that I no longer have UPS deliver to my apartment or anywhere for that matter. I will look up a tracking number of any package I have coming my way via UPS, and then I will make sure that the package is not delivered but instead held for pick-up at the warehouse. I don't trust UPS to deliver my packages to my apartment anymore. To me, it's...it's just dumb...to leave a package in front of an apartment door. It's far too easy for someone to take it and slip right into their apartment with it. Nobody would see them do it.

All I know is that had the shipper selected "signature requirement," the packages would not (or should not) have been left at my front door where someone could have stole them.

He's not obliged to though.

It could also be argued that it's your fault for not reading the seller's T&C.

I don't suppose you used this? http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/claims/hlp/lost_process.html

LdiJ

Just as an FYI, the receiver of a package via UPS does not have the option to insure it. Only the shipper has that option. Some retailers might pass along that option to the receiver, but the receiver does not have that option otherwise.

Also, I think that both the shipper and UPS have a greater responsibility to make sure that the receiver actually receives the package than you might believe. Having once been the shipper of large quantities of packages via UPS, I am quite familiar with the process.

UPS has a certain dollar limit that they will honor for lost or stolen packages that are not insured but that refund goes to the shipper. Its up to the shipper to reimburse/replace product to the receiver.

Proserpina

What I'm talking about is the seller buying insurance and the buyer actually repays (one way or another) the seller.

I honestly thought everyone understood what I was getting to.

LdiJ

What I'm talking about is the seller buying insurance and the buyer actually repays (one way or another) the seller.

I honestly thought everyone understood what I was getting to.
The problem is that very few sellers give the buyer that option. Next time you order something online try to remember to see if you are given an option to insure the package...I think you will find that you are not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">