• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New customer voucher abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barneyrubble88

Alright, I didn't know where else to post but basically I found a loophole in an online voucher I was given. The voucher grants me "Reward points" for my first purchase as a new customer, for example, I spend $1 on a virtual item but receive back $2.50 in reward points in which I can spend on eBay/Amazon, etc.

Obviously this is supposed to only work one time, per customer, per household, yet the website in question gives me the option to delete my account - this allows me to re-register as a new customer to earn those reward points again. Technically, on their systems, I am a new customer and I am paying full price for one of their virtual items - but I am gaining $1.50 in profit because of a voucher.

I was just wondering how legal this is or how a court would see this? As I'm technically "following" the T&C's of the voucher, my "new" account is fresh but obviously I am able to make hundreds in profit (Just so you know, I haven't done this, but I admit that I've tested it out).

Thanks for any advice.

Proserpina

Alright, I didn't know where else to post but basically I found a loophole in an online voucher I was given. The voucher grants me "Reward points" for my first purchase as a new customer, for example, I spend $1 on a virtual item but receive back $2.50 in reward points in which I can spend on eBay/Amazon, etc.

Obviously this is supposed to only work one time, per customer, per household, yet the website in question gives me the option to delete my account - this allows me to re-register as a new customer to earn those reward points again. Technically, on their systems, I am a new customer and I am paying full price for one of their virtual items - but I am gaining $1.50 in profit because of a voucher.

I was just wondering how legal this is or how a court would see this? As I'm technically "following" the T&C's of the voucher, my "new" account is fresh but obviously I am able to make hundreds in profit (Just so you know, I haven't done this, but I admit that I've tested it out).

Thanks for any advice.

Re-read what you wrote.

Then explain why you feel that you're "following" the T&Cs.

Nobody here is going to help you rip off X website. Sorry.

OHRoadwarrior

You would not be a new customer. Using the vouchers would surely reveal your deception and though they might just cancel your orders, might file charges for theft by deception.

barneyrubble88

I'm not asking to "rip off X website". The T&C's clearly state that you can only use the voucher once per customer, but deleteing your account off the systems (Which they give you the option to do so) means that you are re-registering as a new customer again. I don't need people to tell me how wrong it is - as I'm sure 95% of people in the world have used certain vouchers to gain discounts multiple times.

Just to point out, I am asking the legal implications of this, rather than wanting to abuse the voucher my self.

Thanks.

quincy

This site handles U.S. law questions only but I can tell you that the U.K. considers voucher abuse theft or fraud, even if it is not always (or even generally) prosecuted. It depends on the losses suffered by a retailer whether any legal action will be taken.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not asking to "rip off X website". The T&C's clearly state that you can only use the voucher once per customer, but deleteing your account off the systems (Which they give you the option to do so) means that you are re-registering as a new customer again. I don't need people to tell me how wrong it is - as I'm sure 95% of people in the world have used certain vouchers to gain discounts multiple times.

Just to point out, I am asking the legal implications of this, rather than wanting to abuse the voucher my self.

Thanks.
You're not a new customer...even you don't believe that you are. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">