• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Title Yet....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dale V

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I bought a motorcycle off Craigslist over a year ago now. I live in Shrewsbury Pa. Southern York County. The woman I bought it from signed the title on the wrong line after she insisted on going to her bank to have it notarized for free instead of going with us to AAA to transfer it over, where it would have cost $15. When I went to get the title changed over they recognized her error and told me I had to have her get a new title and sign it on the proper line. That was a little over 3 months ago now. Every single time we text her to see if she has gotten the new title yet she says she has been very busy and hasnt had time. Now I am out $1,000 for a motorcycle I technically dont even own yet and cant even get tags on, and it is sitting out in front of my house depreciating in value while she is playing games with the title! I am curious if there are any protections under the law concerning this issue and can I take her to small claims court to get my money back? What should I do?

Gregslist ..what were you thinking!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I bought a motorcycle off Craigslist over a year ago now. I live in Shrewsbury Pa. Southern York County. The woman I bought it from signed the title on the wrong line after she insisted on going to her bank to have it notarized for free instead of going with us to AAA to transfer it over, where it would have cost $15. When I went to get the title changed over they recognized her error and told me I had to have her get a new title and sign it on the proper line. That was a little over 3 months ago now. Every single time we text her to see if she has gotten the new title yet she says she has been very busy and hasnt had time. Now I am out $1,000 for a motorcycle I technically dont even own yet and cant even get tags on, and it is sitting out in front of my house depreciating in value while she is playing games with the title! I am curious if there are any protections under the law concerning this issue and can I take her to small claims court to get my money back? What should I do?

I would suggest contacting your local DMV and see if they could offer any suggestions on how to proceed with a lost title.
Any protections concerning your issues I doubt it.
Going to a bank just to save $15 bucks should have been a red flag, why didn't YOU offer to pay the transfer fee? If she had said no that would have been a deal breaker! Over a year?? Dude somebody has to say it, I think you got screwed.
Yes you can take her to small claims court and probably win but if you can't get a title out of her what makes you think you will get any money?
You could sell the bike for parts, at least you'd get some of your money back.
Good luck.

.._________________________
~ There are three kinds of people.
There are the ones who learn by reading.
The few who learn by observation.
...and then there are those who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">