• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure where to put this, but it's a school/purchase question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jessicaward

Here's my situation: We live in Colorado. My child is in Kindergarten and the Friday before Christmas break, his class had a Holiday party. My child did NOT attend school this day. On this day, they had a book exchange and the value was set at $5. My son was not there, so he did not participate in this event. We did not purchase a book. My son returned from Christmas vacation today and he came home with a book that was $4.99 (a classmate's parent bought it for the exchange) and a bill for $17.00 in Kaden's name. We did not participate and his teacher "purchased" this book for us. So I'm asking, is it illegal for his teacher to "purchase" an item in our name and then bill us for it when we voluntarily did not participate in this event?

Now I know this isn't a HUGE issue, but I'm more so just curious than anything.

tranquility

Here's my situation: We live in Colorado. My child is in Kindergarten and the Friday before Christmas break, his class had a Holiday party. My child did NOT attend school this day. On this day, they had a book exchange and the value was set at $5. My son was not there, so he did not participate in this event. We did not purchase a book. My son returned from Christmas vacation today and he came home with a book that was $4.99 (a classmate's parent bought it for the exchange) and a bill for $17.00 in Kaden's name. We did not participate and his teacher "purchased" this book for us. So I'm asking, is it illegal for his teacher to "purchase" an item in our name and then bill us for it when we voluntarily did not participate in this event?

Now I know this isn't a HUGE issue, but I'm more so just curious than anything.
While not illegal, there is no way the teacher could enforce the "bill".

sandyclaus

I agree with tranquility on this, with these additional comments/suggestions.

Your child did not attend the party, so he shouldn't be required to pay a portion of the cost.

Since you chose not to pay for a book in order to have your child participate in the book exchange, likewise, your child shouldn't have accepted the book that someone else got for him. That book needs to be given back to the teacher, who so kindly paid for the additional book required to complete the exchange for the other child who wouldn't have otherwise received one. If you choose to keep the book for your child, then you should pay the teacher back for the contribution she made on your behalf.

jessicaward

Thank you for the responses. My child did not accept the book, his teacher placed it in his backpack, but I'm returning it to her tomorrow. I just hope there isn't any backlash from this.

sandyclaus

The difference was probably for the child's share of the party.

I'm wondering what was so expensive that it cost an additional $22 per child, though. Peivate school maybe? Or chopping in for a gift for the teacher or someone else perhaps?

Mass_Shyster

Was the school aware that the child would not attend, or was he simply a no-show?

I know if my grade school teachers sent a note home with a bill that they would make my life miserable unless the bill was paid. It has nothing to do with legal or right. It has to do with power.

I'mTheFather

Since it was a book exchange, I wonder if the children drew names prior to the party with the plan that each child would exchange a book with the other. When OP's child didn't show up, perhaps the teacher gave the child one of her own books so the child wouldn't be upset at receiving nothing in return. IF that's the case, then I suspect there's more of a backstory here. Of course, that wouldn't mean OP has to pay the teacher's bill, but it would mean that Kaden's family has already made a name for themselves in the school community.

jessicaward

To answer some questions:
Yes, my son's teacher was aware he would not be in class. He was taken out the Monday prior for the entire week because of vacation in another state. So she had an entire week to plan for this book exchange knowing full well that my son would not be there. A slip was sent home that said keep the book at a $5 value. Whoever bought the book that my son's teacher gave to him was only $4.99 and the book that I "purchased" (rather she purchased it in my son's name) was $17. There was no cost for the party, just volunteered time and volunteered snacks. He does not attend a private school. I hope I didn't miss anyone else's questions, if so, I apologize.

jessicaward

No names were drawn either. The way it worked was: A parent purchases a book at a $5 value and the books would be brought to the school the Wednesday before the party (she knew two days before my son would not be there, we took Monday-the whole Christmas vacation off). I'm assuming she bought a book in Kaden's name for $17 (titled Olivia - the character from Nickelodeon) either on the Friday before the week he was supposed to be gone, or the Monday/Tuesday he was gone and gave it to this student.
Kaden's family made a name for themselves? Ha, not really. She had prior knowledge to this, did not ask my permission to purchase a book in Kaden's name, and most certainly had no right to charge us $17 for it when the value was set at $5. If anything, this school has set a name for themselves.

LdiJ

No names were drawn either. The way it worked was: A parent purchases a book at a $5 value and the books would be brought to the school the Wednesday before the party (she knew two days before my son would not be there, we took Monday-the whole Christmas vacation off). I'm assuming she bought a book in Kaden's name for $17 (titled Olivia - the character from Nickelodeon) either on the Friday before the week he was supposed to be gone, or the Monday/Tuesday he was gone and gave it to this student.
Kaden's family made a name for themselves? Ha, not really. She had prior knowledge to this, did not ask my permission to purchase a book in Kaden's name, and most certainly had no right to charge us $17 for it when the value was set at $5. If anything, this school has set a name for themselves.
I understand why the teacher did that. Most likely there was a child who was going to end up with the book that he/she brought in for some reason, and the teacher substituted one of her own and then sent the extra book home for Kaden. However, I do believe it was more than a bit outrageous on the teacher's part to ask you to pay for a 17.00 book, when the exchange was for 5.00 books. The teacher may have been stuck between a rock and a hard place, because that 17.00 book may have been the only book she had available, or she perhaps even gave the child a choice, and unfortunately the child chose the expensive book, but still, it was tacky on her part.

Here is the big problem though...no matter how you slice this its very likely to spill over on Kaden a bit. If you don't pay it the teacher is going to feel a little resentful and no matter how hard she tries, it may spill over a bit on Kaden. If you do pay it, then you are going to feel resentful and no matter how hard you try, that may spill over on Kaden a bit.

What I might do in a similar situation is see if I can find a copy of the book on sale somewhere and simply replace the book.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">