• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online company abusing information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NTinTX

I created an account with an online "mystery shopping" site in March. I received more e-mails than what my account preferences were set for, so I canceled my account on April 7th and received a confirmation. Since April 8th, I have received 80 e-mails from this company!! I have contacted their Customer Service department twice, and they will not help me. They only tell me that my account has been canceled and that's all they are going to do about it. I am concerned about their usage and ABUSE of my personal information! With a minimum of 3 e-mails received EVERY day, I am tired of being harassed. I've filed a complaint with the BBB, and the company still gives the same answer. What are my legal options at this point?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I created an account with an online "mystery shopping" site in March. I received more e-mails than what my account preferences were set for, so I canceled my account on April 7th and received a confirmation. Since April 8th, I have received 80 e-mails from this company!! I have contacted their Customer Service department twice, and they will not help me. They only tell me that my account has been canceled and that's all they are going to do about it. I am concerned about their usage and ABUSE of my personal information! With a minimum of 3 e-mails received EVERY day, I am tired of being harassed. I've filed a complaint with the BBB, and the company still gives the same answer. What are my legal options at this point?
Create a folder in your email called "junk" and set your filters to automatically put their emails there.

NTinTX

My concern is with their usage of my information despite the fact that I canceled my account almost a month ago. I have terminated my consent for them to send me e-mails.

I am well-aware that I could block their e-mails, and I know the BBB will not pursue them legally. Those weren't my issues.

I was looking for advice to see if there was any legal action that could be taken since they have obviously retained my information and continue to use it on a daily basis despite the account termination.

single317dad

THERE is an actual answer. :cool: It's a shame companies can abuse your information without repercussion, but this is why I asked.

Thank you for your time.
Well, you're welcome to sue them. Did you have a contract? The agreement might suffice. Usually those are written by the companies, and they're pretty one-sided. What, exactly, did the agreement say regarding use of your personal information? Whatever it says are the terms you agreed to when signing up. Have they breached that contract? If so, how have you been injured? What are your damages? That, plus attorney fees (maybe), is what you sue for.

OP, laws do exist to help you. I don't know anything about how often they're actually enforced, but start here and learn how to help yourself.

http://www.business.ftc.gov/documents/bus61-can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">