• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online Computer Repair Shop wont return my laptop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

out2lunch

Sent my computer to an online repair shop in PA. I purchased an online diagnostic and repair service on Ebay. They sent me an email with shipping instructions,,I FEDEX laptop to them. They called an we agreed on $150 for repair. I paypal....now they wont answer or respond. They did respong when I sent an email telling them I would seek another avenue to get my laptop back. They promised it would be sent on MONDAY....it never came. Now, they will not answer phone or email?

single317dad

Sent my computer to an online repair shop in PA. I purchased an online diagnostic and repair service on Ebay. They sent me an email with shipping instructions,,I FEDEX laptop to them. They called an we agreed on $150 for repair. I paypal....now they wont answer or respond. They did respong when I sent an email telling them I would seek another avenue to get my laptop back. They promised it would be sent on MONDAY....it never came. Now, they will not answer phone or email?
If they don't repair your laptop in a timely manner, you can open a case with Paypal to get your $150 back.

If they don't return your laptop, you sue them for your loss.

How long has it been since you sent the laptop to the repair shop?

out2lunch

36 days

If they don't repair your laptop in a timely manner, you can open a case with Paypal to get your $150 back.

If they don't return your laptop, you sue them for your loss.

How long has it been since you sent the laptop to the repair shop?
I filed with paypal....I might get my $150 back, but I am afraid they will keep my HP laptop. Do I get a local attorney or do I have to get an attorney in the state where they operate.? thanks for the help..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I filed with paypal....I might get my $150 back, but I am afraid they will keep my HP laptop. Do I get a local attorney or do I have to get an attorney in the state where they operate.? thanks for the help..
This would be a small claims matter. You would need to sue in their state. You can hire an attorney if you'd like, but the cost would assuredly be more than you will recover. Also, travel expenses for you would not be recovered. I suspect that your most logical options is to simply buy a new computer.

out2lunch

Ouch

This would be a small claims matter. You would need to sue in their state. You can hire an attorney if you'd like, but the cost would assuredly be more than you will recover. Also, travel expenses for you would not be recovered. I suspect that your most logical options is to simply buy a new computer.
I would think that EBAY would bear some responsibility....the repair service was advertised on EBAY. Different than cruising the internet for a repair service. What would stop someone from advertising on EBAY.." I WILL REPAIR YOUR ROLEX WATCH FOR $35", buyer sends watch...complains, seller keeps $2,000 Rolex but forced to refund $35. I see some " relationship" there. Your right about cost of suing in different state.....thanks for comments..any additional ideas appreciated.

Zigner

I would think that EBAY would bear some responsibility....the repair service was advertised on EBAY. Different than cruising the internet for a repair service. What would stop someone from advertising on EBAY.." I WILL REPAIR YOUR ROLEX WATCH FOR $35", buyer sends watch...complains, seller keeps $2,000 Rolex but forced to refund $35. I see some " relationship" there. Your right about cost of suing in different state.....thanks for comments..any additional ideas appreciated.
You're wrong. Would you think (back in the day) that the Yellow Pages would be responsible in a similar situation? The classifieds in the newspaper?

out2lunch

Hmmmm

You're wrong. Would you think (back in the day) that the Yellow Pages would be responsible in a similar situation? The classifieds in the newspaper?
Those two examples had no direct tie in to the seller. Seller is registered with EBAY, and EBAY has approved all buying/selling activity from seller. Similar to an online store located in a mall.

Zigner

Those two examples had no direct tie in to the seller. Seller is registered with EBAY, and EBAY has approved all buying/selling activity from seller. Similar to an online store located in a mall.
Ok, using YOUR example: If the store were in a mall and screwed you over, why would the mall be responsible?

single317dad

eBay's and Paypal's buyer protection programs are quite clear, and you agreed to them when you began (or continued, after a revision) your use of their site.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/security/buyer-protection

Shipping a valuable item to someone far away for a relatively inexpensive repair is generally not a good idea. While much of the world has migrated to an online marketplace, laws have not necessarily kept up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">