• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wizard123

Good morning last year I ordered a product online that should have been build to my specification. I had to put a deposit down for this. Unfortunately things are different now and I have to cancel the order. I couldn't see those things coming nearly a year ago. The production of the unit hasn't start yet and of course it's not finished. Do I have the right to get my deposit back? I didn't sign any papers whatsoever. I've noticed that ftc.gov takes care of the consumer rights. I live in Germany and I don't know how the law applies to this. Thank you so much for any advice.

swalsh411

Many build-to-order products require a non-refundable deposit. It's not required that you "sign papers", only that you were made aware that the deposit was non-refundable at the time you placed your order. The merchant has likely incurred costs related to your order even if it has not yet gone to production and should not be penalized because of your change in circumstances. Now you may of course ask for a refund, and they may choose to issue one in the interests of getting you to order from them again, but chances are pretty good you were notified your deposit was not refundable.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, of course, the actual answer is that we have no idea what remedies you may have under German law, as this forum is for US Law Only. The prior answer is correct based (generally) on US Law.

wizard123

Many build-to-order products require a non-refundable deposit. It's not required that you "sign papers", only that you were made aware that the deposit was non-refundable at the time you placed your order. The merchant has likely incurred costs related to your order even if it has not yet gone to production and should not be penalized because of your change in circumstances. Now you may of course ask for a refund, and they may choose to issue one in the interests of getting you to order from them again, but chances are pretty good you were notified your deposit was not refundable.
Thank you so much for your help and answer. I wasn't told that the deposit was non-refundable only that a deposit was required to start. And this was nearly a year ago. When he got my deposit he said that he would sent me an invoice and documents as soon as possible. But he didn't. Does this change anything? Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">