• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online purchase help, am i reliable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nightxs0ul

I live in Washington State. I purchased an electronic tablet three months ago on Ebay through a company. On the night of purchase i email the company to ship the item to the address i'm staying at, not the one on my Paypal account. The next day i didn't receive a respond, so for the next two days i continuously sent out emails to the company. I never received a respond, until a few days later. They said that they already shipped out the item, sorry for their late respond. The item was shipped to the address where no one will be available to accept the package. As a result, the package was drop off in front of the door. I tried to stop by to retrieve the package, but unfortunately a few hours had pass by and someone must had passed by and took the package. I tried to file a lost claim with UPS, but the said only the shipper is allow to do that. I notified the shipper and they made me be reliable for the item. I think that was absurd. The item was very expensive, i also paid additional shipping cost. The company didn't even include a signature confirmation with the package. So i file a claim with Paypal. Paypal issued me a refund. Three months later, the company sent me a letter saying that if i don't pay them the money, they will send me to the collection agency. Are they allow to do that? If i bring this case to court, what will the result be?

Astrolink

Ebay/Paypal rules require the seller to send the item to your registered address at Paypal. There are no exceptions.

With that said, if the item you purchased was $250 or more, the seller is required to show proof of delivery by signature delivery confirmation.

From you wrote, the item was over $250 and the seller did not put signature confirmation on it, thus Paypal refunded your money.

As for the rest of your questions about court and collections, I'm not well versed enough to answer them.

FlyingRon

An EBAY seller is not only NOT required to ship to an address not on the paypal invoice, he'd be a FOOL to do so. What scant protections PayPal/EBAY provides to sellers is invalidated it if they ship with electronic confirmation to the address in the auction. THere's good reason for it. If they ship somewhere else you could claim you didn't receive it. The fact it was delivered elsewhere won't cut it.

You can add additional shipping addresses to your PayPal account. Then ask the seller if he can hit the REFUND button on the payment (that will incur no charges for him) so you can resubmit it with the proper address. Again, however, he is under no obligation to do this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">