• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online school stole my money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ARJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I signed up for an online floral design course and everything was going well until this year when the school stopped responding to my emails. I filed a complaint with the BBB but they did not respond to them either. How can i go about getting my money back from this school what are my options? Would my credit card company refund that amount if it was done last summer?

Thank you.

ARJ

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I signed up for an online floral design course and everything was going well until this year when the school stopped responding to my emails. I filed a complaint with the BBB but they did not respond to them either. How can i go about getting my money back from this school what are my options? Would my credit card company refund that amount if it was done last summer?

Thank you.

ARJ
You're going to have to give us a bit more information.

What was your status at the point when you claim the school stopped responding to your emails? What happened the last time you corresponded with you?

And it's entirely likely that if your complaint was regarding a course that was supposed to have taken place last summer that you are well out of time to file a dispute with your credit card issuer. They usually like to see those kinds of complaints filed within 90 days of the original charges.

swalsh411

I don't understand why you paid for course last last summer and have still not taken it. Were you scheduling it and then canceling it all year? Why were you emailing them and what did you hope their response to be? It seems like a straightforward transaction. You pay for the class then take the class. I wouldn't think a lot of emailing back and forth would be required.

ARJ

It was a floral design course and you have one year to complete the course on your schedule. I sent administration an email in January because I was not receiving a response from my instuctor with my grade for the first assignment (there are two total). The administrator sent out the second assignment for me to start while waiting to hear from my instructor. I sent in the second assignment a few weeks later and I have not received any response from anyone since then. I have been emailing them since January and I never did hear back from my instructor. According to the Administrator she had a family emergency or something. I am not the only student having problems receiving a response from the school. Others who took a course with them can't get a response either. I took a course with them in 2010 and I got my certificate but now this year, they aren't responding to their students. I had the same instructor for that course as well and once when she didn't respond they gave me the family emergency excuse. She got back to me about a week later so I believed it then, now not so much it has been months and no one from the school will answer emails and three out of the six emails I have for them come back as undeliverable.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FYI, the BBB is a consumer advocacy site; it is not a regulatory agency. The school has no legal obligation to respond to them and the BBB has no authority to take any action other than change the school's standing in the BBB's own records. They cannot discipline or fine the school; they can amend the school's BBB rating and that is all.

swalsh411

They may be out of business. You could sue but if they have no money good luck collecting. Don't assume that because their web site is up that means they are still in business. Is there a phone number you could call?

sandyclaus

They may be out of business. You could sue but if they have no money good luck collecting. Don't assume that because their web site is up that means they are still in business. Is there a phone number you could call?
You might also check their website to see if there is a physical address to which you can write a letter of complaint. If you find one and write a letter, be sure to send it certified, return receipt requested, to get confirmation that the letter was received.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">