• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online Seller: Credit Card Scam from Customer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ayenjay

Hello out there... I have a story and need some advice on how to proceed with this situation.
A woman ordered $80.00 of jewelry from my online shop. Her credit card was securely processed using paypal.
One month later, I received a chargeback from the credit card company, stating that the transaction was not authorized.
I am not sure whether or not the credit card she used was stolen, but I imagine it would not have gone though on paypal if it was. What I do know, is that the name I have for the order is the actual name of the person who received the product.
How do I know? Because I checked public online records for her name and location, and found her Mugshots from when she got arrested for burglary. Low and behold, she is wearing the jewelry she purchased from me in the Mugshot.
So, I did some additional online research and found out that this type of fraud is criminal and a fraud report should be filed with the local law enforcement.
She lives in Idaho, I live in California.
I first called the Idaho police to file the report, and they informed me that I needed to file the report with my California local police, and that the local police would then relay information to the Idaho police to be investigated.
Then I called the California police, and they told me that I needed to call the Idaho police because she resides there.
Now I am stuck. All I know is that I have found both California and Idaho laws stating that this type of fraud is criminal.
Another interesting tidbit is that all of this would be taken care of my Paypal, but the post office did not update the item as received on the tracking number.
Nevertheless, I know for sure it has been received because of her wearing it in the Mugshot (my jewelry is very unique and not mistakable).
The post office in Boise, Idaho hasn't answered the phone in 2 days of calling several times a day within business hours.
So, I called paypal to ask for advice and they told me they need a report from the post office and the fraud report from the police if they are going to defend my case, but neither one of those agencies are willing to help me.
What do I do?

ayenjay

the cops might not be "inclined" to do anything about it, but the law states that I can make a fraud report and paypal requires it. If anyone has any help for me that would be great, thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
the cops might not be "inclined" to do anything about it, but the law states that I can make a fraud report and paypal requires it. If anyone has any help for me that would be great, thanks.
Speak to a supervisor at either (or both) police stations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">