• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Options after buying counterfeit merchandise advertised as authentic on craigslist?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tj32422

I met him in a public place most likely with security footage. I know his name, address, and I have emails/texts from him. He keeps claiming they're real and won't give me a refund. I'm pretty positive the police will not do anything about this even with all my proof.

The money isn't the main issue. I just don't want him to scam people and get away with it and continue it in the future (who knows if he didn't already do this multiple times).

Would small claims court be the best option?

Eekamouse

I met him in a public place most likely with security footage. I know his name, address, and I have emails/texts from him. He keeps claiming they're real and won't give me a refund. I'm pretty positive the police will not do anything about this even with all my proof.

The money isn't the main issue. I just don't want him to scam people and get away with it and continue it in the future (who knows if he didn't already do this multiple times).

Why do you think he gave you his real name and address?

Proserpina

He didn't. Craigslist hides sellers' emails and name. I found the info myself.

Small claims isn't going to help you.

Getting a judgment is the easy part (and it won't be that easy for you, actually) - collecting is a different matter entirely.

Depending where you live you may have virtually no chance of collecting due to debt collection laws.

quincy

What state do you live in, tj32422, or, if not in the US, in what country do you live?

The trademark holder would be interested in learning the identity of the person who is selling counterfeit goods on Craigslist. Have you thought to contact the company that legally sells the merchandise?

The trademark holder is the one who has the most to lose if the counterfeiter continues to market the goods to unsuspecting consumers. If the Craigslist seller has made a business out of importing and/or selling counterfeit goods, the US government would also be interested in learning about the seller.

Contacting either or both would be your best course of action if your major goal is to prevent the person from scamming others.

When you purchased the counterfeit item, it was probably for a very low price compared to the cost of an original, correct? Although you were cheated when it comes to quality, the lower price should have indicated to you that the item being sold was not an original. If you are looking for a refund, you can sue the seller if he does not agree to accept the item back and refund the cost.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">