• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid through PayPal, item not received- What to do???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

belgoddess03

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I recently purchased two items through PayPal and have not received the items. I have written numerous emails to the seller, none of which have been answered. I filed a dispute with PayPal and while they found in my favor, the seller has not refunded my money.

I'm a graduate student and really can't afford to be out this money. Is there any legal recourse left to me at this point? I don't know the seller's contact information (other than email) because PayPal will not release it to me, so I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any help would be GREATLY appreciate. Thanks!

belgoddess03

Forgot to add...

I'm not sure it it's of any importance, but I forgot to add that the combined value of the two items, after S&H costs, is approximately $150.00.

FlyingRon

Huh? If paypal finds in your favor, the seller doesn't get the option of refunding. They will reverse it out of his account and put a hold on it he has taken the money out already.

There's no point in you trying to contact the seller.

If you paid via a credit card through PayPal, you can now file with your credit card company.

If this was an Ebay purchase, you can request the information on the seller through them.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Huh? If paypal finds in your favor, the seller doesn't get the option of refunding. They will reverse it out of his account and put a hold on it he has taken the money out already.

If you paid via a credit card through PayPal, you can now file with your credit card company.

If this was an Ebay purchase, you can request the information on the seller through them.
Unless, of course, the seller is NARU (Not a registered user). If that is the case, you won't get anything out of eBay.

The_Saint

Unless the seller withdrew the money and paypal cannot recover it. Go to the auction page and see if there is a "Paypal protection up to $x" posted on the top right hand side. Theres also a deductable so you won't recover everything.

The simplist thing to do is do a chargeback on your card. Hopefully you used a credit card.

EugeneEllis

I've dealt with a deadbeat ebay seller. Even if you are right paypal would say no funds can't refund.

Open the dispute and call your credit card company for a chargeback or reverse charge. This happen three times to me and Chase gave me the 2 refunds the very next day and when I asked where to mail or fax the paper work I put together they said "Keep it."

Paypal once gave me a refund because a power seller with 100positive went rogue with 25 consegative complaints.

FYI: to protect yourself as a seller use tracking or delivery confirmation to prevent fraud chargeback claims against yourself. Only ship to addresses registered to the buyer's account not an alternative. Wait for all other payments to clear. As a buyer pay only with a credit card as it offers buyers protection. Ignore paypal insisting to do a bank transfer.

If this was done as a bank transfer what can the bank do??? Same thing?

HappyClam

Ebay purchases gone bad....

I have completed more than 1,000 transactions on Ebay over the past 10 years, and only one was bad, until recently. I have been very cautious until now, and I let my guard down.
I purchased a $1,200 item with a seller who had nearly 6,000 transactions with a 99% rating, with the seller permitting layaway. I entered into a 6 month layaway, and after paying nearly all of it, I no longer have contact from this seller, and they no longer have items listed for sale on ebay.
I owe another $200 or so, and I have pleaded for correspondence, only to have them say "send the rest and I will send the item,", and no comment otherwise.
I don't know what recourse that I may have, and have contemplated a small claims complaint, but not sure what I can do from a distance.
Fraud with the USPS? Paypal can no longer do anything, and a layaway is outside of the recommendations by ebay, they won't cover it either.
I know that there is recourse, I just don't know how best to proceed.
I think that it is best to always pay by credit card and NEVER layaway on ebay.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have completed more than 1,000 transactions on Ebay over the past 10 years, and only one was bad, until recently. I have been very cautious until now, and I let my guard down.
I purchased a $1,200 item with a seller who had nearly 6,000 transactions with a 99% rating, with the seller permitting layaway. I entered into a 6 month layaway, and after paying nearly all of it, I no longer have contact from this seller, and they no longer have items listed for sale on ebay.
I owe another $200 or so, and I have pleaded for correspondence, only to have them say "send the rest and I will send the item,", and no comment otherwise.
I don't know what recourse that I may have, and have contemplated a small claims complaint, but not sure what I can do from a distance.
Fraud with the USPS? Paypal can no longer do anything, and a layaway is outside of the recommendations by ebay, they won't cover it either.
I know that there is recourse, I just don't know how best to proceed.
I think that it is best to always pay by credit card and NEVER layaway on ebay.
You're responding to a months-dead thread.

In any case - you already GAVE the answer. Pay what you owe and he'll ship the item. What other "correspondence" could you want? :rolleyes:

ETA:
Oh yeah - it's rude to hijack thread too!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">