• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paypal Account, under 18.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LogoDesigner

State: CA

I'm in a little predicament here.

I have started completing web graphic jobs in California about three months ago, such as making logos/business cards/website headers just as a way to accumulate enough funds to purchase electronics that my parents refuse to fund (Macbook, iPod Touch, etc) and my venture has expanded quite a bit within these three months from where I first expected. As you can imagine, I have quite a stash in my Paypal now.

However, I would like to become Verified/add a bank account to my account.

Just a few statements before I ask my questions, just to make sure we all know the same information about my circumstances.

1) I am under 18.
3) I reside in California, US.
2) During the registration process for my Paypal account, no date of birth was required to complete the registration. I have not lied in any part of the registration process.
3) My address is confirmed. (My parents have fully supported my graphics venture, and have given me a credit card only to lift my Paypal spending limit, and not use it for other purposes)

My questions are:

1) In the United States, are minors legally allowed to have bank accounts?
2) If not, (see question 1) can my parents open a joint account for me?
3) If I attempt to become "Verified" with a "joint" account, can Paypal find out I am underage?
4) Does the Paypal "Verification" process match the Paypal account holder's name to the bank account holder's name? The way I read Paypal's Terms of Service, Paypal can freeze the funds in my accounts if they find out I am underage. Correct?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are not allowed to use Paypal at all:

From their user agreement:

2. Eligibility and Types of Accounts.

2.1 Eligibility. To be eligible for our Services, you must be at least 18 years old and a resident of the United States or one of the countries listed on the PayPal WorldWide page. This Agreement applies only to Users who are residents of the United States. If you are a resident of another country, you may access your agreement from our website in your country (if applicable).

( https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/UserAgreement/ua/USUA-outside#eligibility-policy )

LogoDesigner

Out of curiosity, how does Paypal plan to enforce this part of their TOS if they don't require disclosure of age during the registration process?

Also, would it violate Paypal's terms if I transfer my funds to a parent's account, and terminate my own?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Out of curiosity, how does Paypal plan to enforce this part of their TOS if they don't require disclosure of age during the registration process?

Also, would it violate Paypal's terms if I transfer my funds to a parent's account, and terminate my own?
I, for one, won't help you defraud the company.
As for your second question, it sounds like a GREAT idea - at least then you will HAVE your money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">