• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paypal account withdrawal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kasabian

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?New York
Paypal have withdrawn a substantial amount from my account without legitimate reason or notification, as a refund to a buyer. Apparently the buyer had made a claim against an item sold by me on ebay and paypal sent three emails asking me to respond to the buyer claim. However, i had not used my computer email for some weeks, having no reason to do so, and so this matter remained unknown to me. There are of course, other standard forms of communication such as the telephone system, my number is registered with both ebay and paypal, and the postal service, neither of which they had used to contact me before deducting the funds from my account. I would like to know if electronic mail is a legally acceptable form of communication in this instance. I find it unlikely that sending emails can be sufficient notification for a banking system to use for disclosing that they are about to withdraw funds from a client's balance. The actual 'buyer claim' itself is fallacious, the item sold does not contravene paypal regulations in any way, therefore as far as i can see, there are no grounds on which to effectuate a reversal of funds. I should also point out that the item itself has not been returned by the buyer. At the very least i want the item returned to me in the condition that it was sent, or the funds returned to my account, but by deducting the funds from my balance without justifiable cause, surely paypal are in breach of the law, and in a postion to be sued?

janedoe23

Ahhhh another Paypal victim. Do you actually think Paypal will call a customer to let them know they are deducting funds from their account?

The only thing at this point you can do is open up the claim and still submit the information they requested. It might be too late but sometimes they offer you to fax the information as well. It's not a guarantee but it won't hurt to try.

You can also contact the customer and tell them to return the merchandise or resubmit payment.

racer72

And if you read the Paypal TOS, it clearly states all communication between the them and you will be by email. And in today's world, email is just as a legitimate form of communication as the telephone and the US mail.

Please visit PayPalSucks Dot Com for further information. Several of these folks have been in the same boat as you are, and can provide little-known telephone numbers and quick-resolution avenues.

And close your paypal account, but not before deleting all of your bank account information from your profile! I'd prefer to use an old-fashioned cashiers check than give those crooks another dime!

Kasabian

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated. The 'PayPalSucks' website was very helpful and contains exactly the type of contact information i am in need of, but i will not be closing my account until i have my money back where it should be.
I am in no mood for being another 'Paypal victim', and have no intention of allowing them to take funds from my account with absolutely no reason whatsoever. I am in the mood however, to teach them who they can annoy and who they can't. I just need to know exactly where i stand legally, and how this case will read according to the law.

..."if you read the Paypal TOS, it clearly states all communication between them and you will be by email"... Well, as a reply to my email of complaint, Paypal emailed me stating that if i wanted to discuss the matter it would have to be via telephone. Also, when in the process of setting up a Premier account a few months back, i was told that they were unable to reply to my queries because i had contacted them via an 'unsecure webform', that instead any questions i had needed to be addressed via telephone.. Their own company policy disregards the validity of email when discussing account information. Besides which, I am under no obligation to check any email from Paypal unless of course, i have violated the Paypal TOS in some way. Therefore, a reversal of funds to the buyer on the grounds that i did not reply to their emails is surely illegal.

The simple clear cut fact of the matter is that Paypal took money from my account when they had no grounds for doing so. As far as i can see this cannot be interpreted in any other way, and there is no reason why i would not be fully entitled to a complete return of funds. If anyone with a background in law or finance has any judgment on this i would especially be interested to know your opinion.

janedoe23

Kasabian said:
Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated. The 'PayPalSucks' website was very helpful and contains exactly the type of contact information i am in need of, but i will not be closing my account until i have my money back where it should be.
I am in no mood for being another 'Paypal victim', and have no intention of allowing them to take funds from my account with absolutely no reason whatsoever. I am in the mood however, to teach them who they can annoy and who they can't. I just need to know exactly where i stand legally, and how this case will read according to the law.

..."if you read the Paypal TOS, it clearly states all communication between them and you will be by email"... Well, as a reply to my email of complaint, Paypal emailed me stating that if i wanted to discuss the matter it would have to be via telephone. Also, when in the process of setting up a Premier account a few months back, i was told that they were unable to reply to my queries because i had contacted them via an 'unsecure webform', that instead any questions i had needed to be addressed via telephone.. Their own company policy disregards the validity of email when discussing account information. Besides which, I am under no obligation to check any email from Paypal unless of course, i have violated the Paypal TOS in some way. Therefore, a reversal of funds to the buyer on the grounds that i did not reply to their emails is surely illegal.

The simple clear cut fact of the matter is that Paypal took money from my account when they had no grounds for doing so. As far as i can see this cannot be interpreted in any other way, and there is no reason why i would not be fully entitled to a complete return of funds. If anyone with a background in law or finance has any judgment on this i would especially be interested to know your opinion.
Your beef isn't with Paypal it's with the buyer of the item. Paypal protects their money before they protect yours.

Let me tell you when they took that $856.00 from me they left me with a negative balance. I thought well screw them I am not going to pay Paypal they won't do ANYTHING. WRONG!!! They reversed $856.00 worth of money I sent to sellers for items I bought. In other words that outfit I just paid for through Paypal to that seller is reversed now and the money I paid the seller was credited back to my negative balance. Now, I had sellers that had already sent me my items asking what was going on. Paypal sent them emails saying that my funds came from an unauthorized account. I guess they use that excuse all the time. I had to clear it up by sending all the sellers payment again in the form of a money order.

So this basically means if you have a negative balance as of right now, it is possible for Paypal to reverse any purchases you made recently.

janedoe23 said:
So this basically means if you have a negative balance as of right now, it is possible for Paypal to reverse any purchases you made recently.

Yikes, Jane, what a story.

This is precisely why I don't use PayPal anymore. They're not FDIC insured, and their own TOS basically says that by accepting the service, you agree that they have complete control over your account - they can close it, freeze your assets, and do back-charges like Jane was describing here.

I'd sooner take out a loan from a loan shark in a dark alley than use PayPal - at least if something goes wrong, I'll only have my kneecaps broken!

I don't have any personal experience in finance, but I -do- have experience in getting money back from them that they took - but it did take about a year, and lots of calls to the Attorney General's office of four different states. I can tell you the best you can do with PayPal is to get back what is yours - don't bother trying to screw them over - they're in the business of screwing people over, and they know all the tricks in the book.

Oh, and P.S. - NEVER have a current "verified" bank account with PayPal if you continue using it - as in, don't use the option where you give them your routing number and bank account number.

Do you really want your long-term assets to be in the palms of these crooks?

janedoe23

Dougthegreat said:
Oh, and P.S. - NEVER have a current "verified" bank account with PayPal if you continue using it - as in, don't use the option where you give them your routing number and bank account number.

Do you really want your long-term assets to be in the palms of these crooks?

The OP is out of luck if they currently have a neg balance. You can't delete your bank account information as well as your credit card information if you owe Paypal. :)

janedoe23 said:
The OP is out of luck if they currently have a neg balance. You can't delete your bank account information as well as your credit card information if you owe Paypal. :)
Yes, but you can call your bank and credit card company, who are EXPONENTIALLY more reasonable than PayPal.

Keep in mind, I believe more than anyone that you ought to pay money due for services rendered; however, when they arbitrarily take money out because someone ELSE was unscrupulous, that's just plain unreasonable!

janedoe23

It's pretty sad when they take the blame out on the person who was being the honest one instead of the actual person who is defrauding people. You would think Paypal would go after the person who defrauded me but it was easier just to get money from me. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">