• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paypal charge backs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

51k.bos

paypal chargebacks

I'm in Arizona, and I don't know if I posted this in the wrong area. Ok, this summer a friend of my boyfriend, i'll call him dick, paired up with a guy who owned a junkyard selling parts on eBay. Because I have a PayPal business account, he asked if he could send me money thru paypal if I would get the cash for him from the atm, he would pay me a few dollars to cover the fees and for the trouble. My boyfriend had done it for him several times, and I didn't think anything of doing it. Over several weeks, Dick would send me money and I would give him the cash. He said he was waiting on his card, or that it had gotten lost etc etc. I had no reason to doubt him, I had never known Dick to be a liar in the years I had known him. Plus, my boyfriend had done some electrical work for the owner of the junkyard, so I knew Dick did actually work there doing the eBay thing. I also thought he wouldn't have been able to send money from the account if he wasn't authorized to. When he stopped calling me a few weeks ago, I assumed he had finally gotten the card situation handled and never gave it another thought. Today, i have a negative paypal balance due to chargebacks from that account. As a freelancer and artist I NEED my paypal account to get paid for work I've already done. Dick has been elusive, he's not at home and is not answering the phone. He sent only one text saying that he was authorized to use that account, that I'm not liable. I have no idea what my best course of action is. I don't want to ignorantly say something that could make me criminally and/or financially responsible, so I have not contacted paypal or the junkyard owner. Any advice on what my options are, what my next move should be would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

quincy

I'm in Arizona, and I don't know if I posted this in the wrong area. Ok, this summer a friend of my boyfriend, i'll call him dick, paired up with a guy who owned a junkyard selling parts on eBay. Because I have a PayPal business account, he asked if he could send me money thru paypal if I would get the cash for him from the atm, he would pay me a few dollars to cover the fees and for the trouble. My boyfriend had done it for him several times, and I didn't think anything of doing it. Over several weeks, Dick would send me money and I would give him the cash. He said he was waiting on his card, or that it had gotten lost etc etc. I had no reason to doubt him, I had never known Dick to be a liar in the years I had known him. Plus, my boyfriend had done some electrical work for the owner of the junkyard, so I knew Dick did actually work there doing the eBay thing. I also thought he wouldn't have been able to send money from the account if he wasn't authorized to. When he stopped calling me a few weeks ago, I assumed he had finally gotten the card situation handled and never gave it another thought. Today, i have a negative paypal balance due to chargebacks from that account. As a freelancer and artist I NEED my paypal account to get paid for work I've already done. Dick has been elusive, he's not at home and is not answering the phone. He sent only one text saying that he was authorized to use that account, that I'm not liable. I have no idea what my best course of action is. I don't want to ignorantly say something that could make me criminally and/or financially responsible, so I have not contacted paypal or the junkyard owner. Any advice on what my options are, what my next move should be would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.
Is your boyfriend still friends with Dick?

Did Dick send you money from the junkyard owner's account?

I have a sneaking suspicion that Dick will remain "elusive."

You should never have used your own business account - but I think you already know that.

51k.bos

dick and paypal

He's not actually my boyfriend anymore, we still talk however. Dick has actually surfaced and is very apologetic... He did have permission to use that account, and had been using it. The owner of the must have told his bank otherwise. But only 4 transactions are being charged back out of 10 total. So because there are only 4, I'm guessing the guy is claiming he maybe fired Dick, so he didn't have authorization to use the account after that day. So then wouldn't it be on him if he didn't take steps to change passwords and such to prevent unauthorized access? Several years ago, One of my friends kid used my card to make a purchase without permission and when I called my bank fraud dept they said I couldn't claim **** because I let the kid use my laptop, so I basically have them access. Isn't this kinda the sane thing? I mean its not like dick hacked the account...?

quincy

He's not actually my boyfriend anymore, we still talk however. Dick has actually surfaced and is very apologetic... He did have permission to use that account, and had been using it. The owner of the must have told his bank otherwise. But only 4 transactions are being charged back out of 10 total. So because there are only 4, I'm guessing the guy is claiming he maybe fired Dick, so he didn't have authorization to use the account after that day. So then wouldn't it be on him if he didn't take steps to change passwords and such to prevent unauthorized access? Several years ago, One of my friends kid used my card to make a purchase without permission and when I called my bank fraud dept they said I couldn't claim **** because I let the kid use my laptop, so I basically have them access. Isn't this kinda the sane thing? I mean its not like dick hacked the account...?
No. It would not be "on" the owner of the bank account to change passwords after firing Dick, although if the owner of the account fired Dick, it would have been smart for the owner to do so.

Once Dick was fired, he was no longer authorized to use the business account. That is one of those no-brainers that Dick should have been able to figure out on his own.

Because Dick has surfaced, you should try to resolve the matter directly with Dick.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">