• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PayPal used the wrong account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeaninecole

What is the name of your state (PA)

I have a PayPal account that I opened 2013 I used it once or twice back then with a bank account.
I decided to use PayPal again in August and I added a new Bank account and 2 credit cards. Pay Pal says that "up to five accounts can be linked to PayPal" I chose the new bank account to be the main account for PayPal and Ebay fees.
PayPal did not use the new bank I chose but the old bank account which caused two overdraft fees of $35. They said they would take care of it..so they gave me a generic form email to send to my bank. The email was generic and really didn't explain what happened and the bank did not reverse the fees.
Is there anything I can do?

FlyingRon

Nope. You should have deleted the closed account rather than just adding a new one. I suspect highly that Paypal made no mistake, you just didn't understand how things work. Paypal deducts the fees from the payments you received. You set the payment details on EACH transaction. Just designating an new bank account as primary doesn't change it with regard to ebay auto payments. You needed to go back to your ebay auto pay setup and change the funding source.

Jeaninecole

I followed the steps exactly ...since I was reactivating the account it asked me what account I wanted for my main account. It mentioned nothing about deleting the old account.. it also said that I can add several new accounts both bank and card.
(I also cross checked with Ebay) I set the payment details to my new bank account when I sold on Ebay. PayPal account received my sales $ I used that $ to purchase something else then Ebay collected fee from PayPal linked to my new bank account but with drew from the old account.

Also after the fees ...I was talking to a PayPal rep and she gave me a line of BS then changed it to the correct bank FOR ME....SO she thought .... because the next day it reverted right back to the old one. I closed my account. ...I test software for a living...and to think there isn't bugs and defects in sw that is on the market is very silly. It is impossible to test every possible "bug" that could arise ...a "bug" might not even exist until a new OS is in use...

FlyingRon

You still shouldn't have left the old account, Paypal was in their rights to mischage things to the "backup" accounts you have listed. You can complain all you want, but if paypal isn't going to step up, there's little you're gong to do to make them.

Yeah, and I spent 23 years as the head of product development for a software company we sold for $400M. I know a thing or two about software testing too, but that's IMMATERIAL to your legal issues.

Jeaninecole

I left the old account on there because they said I could. I chose the bank account i wanted as my main account it was also the one i specified to be used for the eBay fee even eBay said so.
If it is what YOU say why didn't they use a different account when the first attempt didn't work? Its tough for a big company to admit their sw sucks... Can understand why it is a sinking ship now.
I test sw for life support systems...I probably take my job too serious ...knowing what side the law would be on...$$$ ;)

single317dad

I've had this exact thing happen to me. It happened because I made a mistake and didn't CAREFULLY read which account the funds were coming out of when I made my payment. On the right side just under the amount is the funding source on every transaction you make via Paypal. If you want to change the source, that's the place to do it. You fail to do so at your own peril.

Jeaninecole

I double checked on the web page that the correct account was chosen before I even used it. I also verified it with my mobile app. And also with eBay**************and after the 2 attempt withdraws a Paypal rep "fixed" it for me..and the next day it was reversed...there is a glitch in their sw...and it can be anywhere!! So many layers...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">